Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    I wish that I had known what was happening back when I started getting early symptoms back in 2009...

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....tch-adjustment

I only tow a couple of times a year, so progression of the problem was very slow. Now the shimmy worse and one side is down about 2cm. The local trailer repair shop confirmed that one axle needs replacement. Jerry sent me the links for replacement parts. No warranty coverage is available after so long.

Maybe we can do a group buy in the spring?
    I haven't towed barely at all this year other than bringing it home from Illinois, after that maybe 20 miles. I don't know how much it was towed by the original owner though. However, I had no warning signs at all, at least no obvious ones. Last weekend I towed it to the gas station and back no problem, this weekend the tires were jammed up into the fenders before I even moved it.

My neighbor has his empty for sale Supra Boatmate dual axle trailer sitting literally 15 feet from my boat on a broken trailer...maybe it's time to upgrade to a dual, even though I only tow a couple times a year for very short rides!
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

Time is a killer on just about anything mechanical that just sits.
    I had driven 500 miles from where I purchased the boat. Took it to the water, home and 400 yards shy of the marina. That was an additional 60 miles. The seals leaked smoke everywhere and another problem also.
    The mechanic asked if the trailer had been sitting. I know for the 5 years owned before me he drove it about 15 miles per year.

I have a double PWC trailer which had a snapped axle. I was lucky and had to strap a gas can down in the tray and strapped it to the axle. Otherwise it would have hit the ground. Fixed it with angle iron, strap, 4x4 and hose clamps and drove it back 500 miles (same place I got my boat). It had rusted from the inside out.
    This was light weight and could get away with it. Holiday weekend and no one had it, had to get back home.

True we don't do much with them but time is a killer.

How long should those Boat Mate axles last?

2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by 5:00 View Post
    How long should those Boat Mate axles last?
    Time can definitely be a killer for many things that don't get used, I agree. However, IMO a boat trailer axle shouldn't fail in 6 or 7 years, regardless of how little it gets used. Maybe if it was driven a million miles on washboard and bumpy roads or something, or consistently put in salt water every day.

Nice fix with the 4x4, good redneck enginurin' thur!

Default Re: Torsion axle failure...it finally happened

Mine was a 2006 that went in 2012. Dusty had a 2006 that went in 2011 or 2012?

Id probably bet that his 1% figure is inaccurate. However, they handled my problem efficiently so no real compliants.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

What year trailers did these axle,s start failing? I have a 2003 outback LS on a single axle trailer.Never had any problems so far.
    jy

Quote Originally Posted by james yarosz View Post
    What year trailers did these axle,s start failing? I have a 2003 outback LS on a single axle trailer.Never had any problems so far.
    Mine was a 2006 that failed in 2009, luckily still under warranty (even though I had to pay the labor I think). No problems since, thankfully.
    06 Mobius LSV, GIII (now with 1100 in the port locker), perfect pass, wakeplate
    Kicker KM10 Sub, dual batteries

I heard years were like 05-08 if I remember right.

Anyways, I've talked with UFP (axle manufacturer). They have completely owned up to this problem. I filled out the warranty form and a shiny new axle is on it's way for just the cost of shipping, and they even had a painted one (black though, not orange) laying around they are giving me instead of raw.

Dennis at UFP was great to work with. He described what happened and why it's such a low figure. They had 2 sub-suppliers that were assembling the internals (BTW these are rubber suspension, not a metal torsion spring). One supplier that did the majority was high-tech and used a robot booth to spray the adhesive and even had an x-ray inspection to make sure it had full coverage. The other supplier basically had a hand-spray booth...the issues came from that supplier.

So in the end, it's actually a tier 3 supplier issue and both Boat Mate and UFP took responsibility. Dennis did say that the design changed and my new axle will be the new design, so apparently there was an issue in the design but the actual root cause was the one supplier and their adhesive process. He said the new design is what Jerry would have referred to as guaranteed not to break again.

Thanks to Janet at Boat Mate and Dennis at UFP for quickly resolving the issue, and thanks to both companies for taking responsibility...chances are I'll have my new axle here by the weekend to install it. Great customer service from both.

Great job getting that taken care of. Great to see a company stand behind their products also.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by 5:00 View Post
    Great job getting that taken care of. Great to see a company stand behind their products also.
    Absolutely, it was impressive how well they just acknowledged the issue and set up a replacement immediately. They didn't require pictures or anything like that as normally is required for warranty stuff like this, from what I described they just knew what needed to be done and did it. That's pretty fantastic customer service.

now the question for those that have the torsion axle from 05-08? is how to find out before the failure which supplier the axle came from, its winter time and if mine was at risk i would swap them out now vrs risking it.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart