Thread: Thanks to Phil

Default Thanks to Phil

I know there are a lot of good brands and reps out there but I have to say thanks to Phil a Kicker. He has helped me with my current set up quite a bit and I recently had an issue with one of my tower speakers. I mentioned it to him yesterday and no questions asked he shipped a new speaker today that should arrive Tuesday. Customer service at its finest.

Thank you again Phil!
    Joey

2007 LSV
    Gravity III w/ 750's and IBS, Acme 1433
    WS-420SQ, Kicker KM6500.2, JL e4300, JL 12w6v2, JL e1400D, Polk db651s, JL JX360/4

great products. I would second it..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

how are the 6500.2's at surfing distance? sorry to bring this thread back but no one ever seems to talk about them very much and im in the market for them.

Quote Originally Posted by dustinjean View Post
    how are the 6500.2's at surfing distance? sorry to bring this thread back but no one ever seems to talk about them very much and im in the market for them.
    The 6500.2's are awesome at surfing distance. I use them in my living room as theater and recording monitors even.

The KM6500.2 is not a coaxial design like the other guys so it behaves differently. Let me explain:

Since the horn is not mounted through the mid, we can use a true TRACTRIX horn geometry that prevents that typical peaky horn sound. I will keep it brief here on tech talk, but know that the horn is very natural sounding and sounds good up close AND at a distance by nature of the shape of the horn.

Also, and again, since it is not a coaxial design, the midrange doesn't have a big hole through the middle. As a result there is way more cone area when compared with other 6.5" coaxial HLCD designs. The greater cone area allows it to play louder and lower. Put another way, more mid-bass.

Lots of the generalizations made regarding HLCD products simply don't apply to the KM6500.2 due to its component design. It really is different. Our approach of keeping the mid and horn separate allowed us to design an HLCD product that plays loud like an HLCD should. It throws the sound out there like an HLCD should too, but it sounds good up close.

Something I don't bring up much but realize I should as it is worth sharing: The designer of the KM6500.2 had a long tenure with another very famous brand prior to coming to Kicker. This other brand made its name a long time ago designing very high-end horn-loaded home speakers. Our engineer knew before he even started scribblng on the clean sheet of paper that the KM6500.2 needed to sound good both up close and at a distance; it needed to sould like a high-end home speaker, but on steroids. This guy built all sorts of horns as a hobbyist audio geek. I was sitting next to him the very first day we listened to the (hacked together with super glue and smoothed out with modeling clay) first prototype of the KM6500.2 horn that he sculpted. Ever get goosebumps? I did. I found out later that part of his inspration was to be able to use them in his home system, as I do now.

It is worth it to try to find a set and give them a demo. Hear it with your own ears. I think you will agree that the KM6500.2 would be a great surf speaker.

Phil
    Kicker

do I read into this discussion the brand Klipsch?

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    do i read into this discussion the brand klipsch?
    You might be right.....

great stuff. who wouldn't want a set of old school klipsch horns in a living room

I still remember my very first set of "real" speakers for my old minitruck consisted of a set of kicker truckboxes. a horn on top and each box loaded with (iirc) a 8" woofer and a 10" passive radiator. they rocked.... back in 1988

wow thanks for all the info Phil, I guess i will be putting my order in as soon as my wife will allow me