Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I have one on my boat. It does help immensely with exhaust fumes. I personally would not surf without the FAE on a boat with no catalytic converter.

I did not get the expected noise reduction in the boat that others have enjoyed. It's only reduced a bit. Noise behind the boat is hugely reduced. I might need to adjust the pipe angle.

My FAE had a significant manufacturing defect with the support mounting holes being crooked. I was able to compensate due to it shipping with two of the square mounting tubes. As I had it in storage for over two years before installing it, I did not bother the manufacturer about the issue. Just inspect carefully and install promptly if you get one.

Boat performance and wake shape are not affected to any significant degree, at least during normal operations at 10-30 MPH. I haven't really tested top end, but I never cared about that. One thing that is affected is turbulence under the water behind the prop. For surface sports, it's not a problem. If you like to do hydrofoiling, it will be negatively affected for beginners who like to cruise behind the boat. They won't inhale exhaust anymore, but it will be harder to remain steady when directly behind the boat.

The only issue that I had with mounting remaining steady was that I believed my dad instead of the instructions regarding how tight the clamps should be. One pipe fitting came loose while towing the boat on the trailer. This leads to another issue: I think I'll do something to prevent swim platform movement. The FAE hangs on it, and it's got freedom to bounce around a bit.

With a new boat, I would be very keen to get feedback directly from the boat's manufacturer first. There may be an issue of backpressure and catalytic converters that are on most current towboats. Nautique is making the FAE-designed Surf Pipe available as a factory option (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=56874). However, that's not the same product as the main FAE, and there could be a warranty issue on other, newer boats. For a second-hand account, see post #63 here:
    http://www.mbboatowners.com/index.ph...t-sucks/page-4
    Last edited by Ian Brantford; 11-01-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

I put one on my '12 LSV earlier this summer. I love it. Made a pretty big difference in the sound. Before it was hard to communicate with the surfers even when you were on the back of the boat. Now I can talk to them from the drivers seat pretty easily. Music sounds way better when you are surfing too.

The install was pretty easy. I have the same setup as the earlier pics in this thread with the cross beam mounted to the swim platform. That method of installation on the LSV is a very sturdy setup. They also had me put some screws in the exhaust ports on the boat to help hold the FAE. I check it after each run and I have not seen any loosening at all and that's after probably a 100 hours this summer. My installed pics are in this post.

Nobody talks about exhaust smells anymore either, after the FAE install. We didn't really notice before so it wasn't bad, but you can definitely tell that it is better now. We also pull slalom skiers at 30+ and wake boarders pretty regularly and I have not noticed any difference in handling, power or wake with the FAE installed.

I'm happy I put it on and can recommend it.

Ron
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

Ron, thanks for linking your photos. like that install better with the way it ties into the brackets.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Yes, thank you Ron. I apparently missed that thread and I too like the option to tie into the sides of the brackets.

I know bad news always travels fast so it's good to hear some very solid positive feedback instead. I'm sure that the FAE guys are getting their setups more dialed in as well.

Hmmmm, seeing this sliding back up the priority list now.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

One other thing for the driver to keep in mind with an FAE: there are no flaps. If you do an emergency stop, you could hydrolock the engine and wreck it.

I did such a manoeuver shortly after installing the FAE. The engine cut out. I was able to restart, but it continued to frequently cut out. We had to end our day. I eventually figured out that water was being held in the exhaust system due to the upward slant of the FAE. After disconnecting it and draining the water, regular operation was resumed with no apparent damage.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

Lol... More false info..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    One other thing for the driver to keep in mind with an FAE: there are no flaps.
    I think flaps are said to be a $40 option if I read the website correctly.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

What about backing up?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

what about it?

Default I"m in if someone puts it together-group buy-FAE

I've got flaps on mine.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron