Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

All the new ones built now have the option for Flaps.
    I have the flap option in mine as well.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

No flaps no issues..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    No flaps no issues..

I never had any issues on my 08 with no flaps, but I'm not going to say it can't happen LOL. I think we ever reverse very hard. I only use reverse at idle when launching, then i use it to dock, and i use it to slow the boat to a stop near my riders when they are done LOL.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default Re: I"m in if someone puts it together-group buy-FAE

We use reverse all the time while surfing, you can avoid the rollers by using reverse to do a hard stop and then let the wave pass you, or backup to the surfer if they're close. Saves a lot of time, not fuel..

The flaps are there to keep water out when the boat isn't running from waves smacking the rear of the boat, since the fea entrance is below the waterfall the time there's no wave to hit it...

Default I"m in if someone puts it together-group buy-FAE

I too hardly ever use reverse. I don't have the flapper option and haven't had an issue. I guess I don't understand what the flapper would really be accomplishing anyways since there will always be water in your exhaust. The option sounds like a myth and is probably available to give people peace of mind. Maybe not, that's just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2004 Moomba LSV Blue

I believe the flaps are there mostly to keep water out when the boat is docked, but are also for warranty purposes.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

Lol... More false info..

I wish that it were. Unfortunately, I did encounter this failure while trying to do an emergency move to save a fallen rider from being run over by another boat. I did get pretty much in his path, but the only thing left that I could do was to honk my horn.

The other posters are correct -- there is now a flapper option, as seen on http://www.freshairexhaust.com/fae-options/ . Unfortunately, that section also has a theoretical discussion about water intrusion in the exhaust that does not agree with my real-world experience.

This has not led me to remove my FAE. However, if I have to do another move like that, I would know to favour turns over sudden deceleration. If I were to buy and FAE today, I would definitely get the flapper option. I see that there is a retrofit, so I now plan to get that next year.
    Last edited by Ian Brantford; 11-02-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

Default Re: I"m in if someone puts it together-group buy-FAE

In the panic you probably went from drive to reverse to quickly and stalled the engine..

In the panic you probably went from drive to reverse to quickly and stalled the engine..
    The engine problem continued until I detached the FAE to drain the water.

I sure as hell wasn't panicking. I knew exactly what I was doing. We've had a couple of situations with non-attentive drivers in other boats a couple of times over the years. As soon as my buddy said something like "I don't think that boat sees her", I immediately knew that I had to do a 180, then possibly another 160 to ram the other boat away from our fallen rider. There was a sudden deceleration when starting the second turn and we came off of plane, so there was likely a big wash hitting us in the stern. My attention was not on the stern. It was on the other boat, the rider, steering, throttle, and gauging trajectories.

It was the rider's first time wakeboarding. She wasn't really aware of the seriousness of the situation. My GF was on board and understood though. On that day, she realised I wasn't bragging when I had said before the season (her first) started that the pretty boat which she was admiring was less important than people, and that I'd willfully damage it if necessary to protect them.

I am glad that FAE now has a fix for this issue. I'll take it.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

Default I"m in if someone puts it together-group buy-FAE

Did we ever get a head count on this!? We have enough for the discount yet?
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...