Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

don't know anything about diesels to speak to them. I would assume that heat would be an enemy as well.
    I know mmandley has some knowledge on diesels and hopping them up. might be able to chime in on why we don't see them in wakeboats-yet or ever..

hearing a diesel pull a wakeboarder up would be quite strange.. not in a bad way, just strange
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default Big Announcement from Indmar

Turbo timer...and put intercoolers on the front instead of docking lights with a check valve to prevent water intrusion...haha
    Last edited by E4NASH; 11-06-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    don't know anything about diesels to speak to them. I would assume that heat would be an enemy as well.
    I know mmandley has some knowledge on diesels and hopping them up. might be able to chime in on why we don't see them in wakeboats-yet or ever..

hearing a diesel pull a wakeboarder up would be quite strange.. not in a bad way, just strange
    I personally would love to see more diesels in wake boats. Right now its an oditty and I don't see it being realistic anytime too soon.

Biggest issue with Diesel is they need a lot of Heat to be efficient. In my F350 for instance, my tuner defuels the truck 50% untill its running at 150 degrees, then slowly allows me more power as the truck warms up. Once it finally gets to operating temp of 195 i get 100% power.

In a diesel I think the boat would have to have a closed cooling system with some form of radiator to make the diesel run correctly, and with wake boats you are constatly starting and turning them off so they cool off really fast.

With Gas it can heat the engine up rather quickly, with in 5 minutes be at operating temp. My F350 can take 15-20 minutes of driving before it reaches operating temp.

Claudia's VW TDI does warm up rather quickly but 1.9L I4 is not a good engine for boats LOL.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by RickT View Post
    And we have a winner.
    From the horses mouth right There, end of speculation debate!!!
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

There was a used diesel xstar test boat (or so they say) for sale on eBay a while back for $50k. Must but be feasible if they tested it and only made one.

Sent from my fourth replacement Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 4...
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

someone else I remember was putting a yanmar in an epic hull. never did hear the outcome or any testing on it. I know they are pretty common in yachts but they are not being asked to do duty like a wakeboat as mike indicates.

interesting to see that diesels retard power until they reach operating temps and import tuners spend $$'s to lower temps going into the engine.

wouldn't it be something to hear the whoosh of a blowoff valve letting off pressure as your wakeboat gets up on plane at the same time someone does their first big air trick

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    someone else I remember was putting a yanmar in an epic hull. never did hear the outcome or any testing on it. I know they are pretty common in yachts but they are not being asked to do duty like a wakeboat as mike indicates.

interesting to see that diesels retard power until they reach operating temps and import tuners spend $$'s to lower temps going into the engine.

wouldn't it be something to hear the whoosh of a blowoff valve letting off pressure as your wakeboat gets up on plane at the same time someone does their first big air trick
    HAHA yes it would be on the whoosh. Id be the A hole that throttles you up and then cuts power to hear the woosh all the time LOL.

not all Diesels retard power till they warm up. Claudia's doesn't.

Mine does, because i have a computer and 600hp 1000 torque and you don't want to crank out that much power on a cold engine. big diesels have 4 gallons of oil and that's a lot of low end stress when its cold.

I get the cooler air with the Tuners, but i have a huge inter-cooler on mine so it is already cooling the incoming air.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    HAHA yes it would be on the whoosh. Id be the A hole that throttles you up and then cuts power to hear the woosh all the time LOL.
    that's funny. you watch the guys in the lowpro boats running blown big blocks running all over the lake just to hear themselves make noise and throw a rooster tail. now you have wakeboats running all over the lake letting off the throttle for the bov noise

On Indmar switching engines, as Rick confirmed and Mike said, its a technology thing. They can't keep making the iron 350 forever, at some point, the new technology has to phase out the old stuff. We don't drive around cars with steam power, do we (Jay Leno aside). The engineering developments of the internal combustion engines (as inefficient as they are) have done much to improve their efficiency in the last couple of decades.

As far as the diesel boats, this is not a new idea. Mastercraft offered a diesel engine (VW V6) option back in 2007, although I think it was only for European markets. I imagine is was not a big seller as it was something like a $32,000 option.

Our dive rescue had an inboard diesel on a 22' inflatable boat and the hole shots were horrendous. Very slow out of the hole as it was spooling up. No instantanous power. We got rid of it as we had to take it to Portland to get any work done on it. I'm thinking it was a Mercruiser made for salt water.

I have a feeling the new engines won't stay around as long as the 350 did. I imagine every five years the engines will be phased out as new ones are being developed. Much like everything else these days.
    Last edited by zabooda; 11-07-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD