Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post

what's funny is that you will now see people that will never buy an indmar-powered boat due to having a ford block in it now.
    will haveing a ford block keep me from buying the next one, no. But if givin the choise between a Ford based engine or a Chevy based engine I would pick the Chevy.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Bow ties, baby!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Unless the Ford engine is far and above superior to the GM I see it as a lose lose for everybody except maybe Ford. The dealer will have to double up on parts inventory or wait for special orders to arrive. The mechanics will have to learn a totally new system with all its problems to discover. The buyer will have to put up with everything associated with being new and differant and most likely pay more for it because of lower volume being produced. In 89 when I bought my Supra the GM 350 was an option even though I would rather push a Chevy than drive a ford I went with the Ford 351 . The main reason was {There is safety in numbers} better to have a common engine with expertise and parts available than to take a chance on the low production combo that most shops will only see once in a blue moon.

^ and now we are moving back the other way.

I'm not a ford, chevy or dodge guy and don't care what's on the hood, but given a choice I'd take a gm engine for my boat based on the mention above on parts availability and knowledge to fix the engines..

on the ecoboost option.. if I had to guess, heat would kill that engine in a marine application. pulling a loaded wakeboat up on plane would turn the exhaust housings on those turbos to a glowing red. trying to teach a noob to wakeboard would generate an insane amount of heat in that enclosed compartment not to mention the potential of toasting the turbo bearings after whipping a tuber around or pulling a slalom skier and not letting them properly cool down before shutting the engine off.
    Last edited by sandm; 11-06-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

You know i wonder if this stems from maybe GM wanting to stop mass production of the cast iron 350 block? Since the LS engine came out everyone buys them as an upgrade engine for there cars, and the factory only uses those engines as well for Camero and the trucks running 5.7s

Maybe this is more a move due to future supply?
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

^ and now we are moving back the other way.

I'm not a ford, chevy or dodge guy and don't care what's on the hood, but given a choice I'd take a gm engine for my boat based on the mention above on parts availability and knowledge to fix the engines..

on the ecoboost option.. if I had to guess, heat would kill that engine in a marine application. pulling a loaded wakeboat up on plane would turn the exhaust housings on those turbos to a glowing red. trying to teach a noob to wakeboard would generate an insane amount of heat in that enclosed compartment not to mention the potential of toasting the turbo bearings after whipping a tuber around or pulling a slalom skier and not letting them properly cool down before shutting the engine off.
    Hmm, I don't necessarily agree since the EcoBoost turbos are water/oil cooled. That engine can tow some serious weight...slap a 11k trailer behind that truck and those things would probably be under a similar load to a wake boat application. I would assume there has to be a reason why it's not used though, otherwise I would think it would be a pretty obvious choice to try and marinize it for the masses.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    You know i wonder if this stems from maybe GM wanting to stop mass production of the cast iron 350 block? Since the LS engine came out everyone buys them as an upgrade engine for there cars, and the factory only uses those engines as well for Camero and the trucks running 5.7s

And we have a winner.

Default Big Announcement from Indmar

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post

I think it's a conspiracy that stems from Government Motors taking money from the fed. Just like they told them what brands they had to kill and how many dealerships they had to close I think they put a number on how many V8 blocks they could produce. Since GM still wants them for their high performance cars and trucks they price went up for Indmar. Ford not sucking up to the fed allowed them to produce what they want. Blah, blah, blah, CAFE, blah, blah.......

That's my thought, lol.

I prefer Ford anyway, bring it on.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

wax, most modern turbo's are water/oil cooled. the air movement keeps them from overheating. from my import days, watching an evo spin a dyno a few times, you see the exhaust housing getting red hot from lack of air movement. why most dyno's have huge floor fans to keep cold air moving over the intercooler and with the hood up, across the engine. that same engine in the confines of our current engine bays with no "real" air movement would be a recipe for disaster imo. the oil/water cooled part is only on the center bearings to keep them cool as most turbos spin at over 100,000rpms.
    think to the big cigarette boats. turbo's offer "free" hp as they are essentially recycling spent energy where a supercharger has parasitic loss off the drive belt but you rarely ever see turbos on those boats as they run so hot where a supercharger generates very little heat.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

wax, most modern turbo's are water/oil cooled. the air movement keeps them from overheating. from my import days, watching an evo spin a dyno a few times, you see the exhaust housing getting red hot from lack of air movement. why most dyno's have huge floor fans to keep cold air moving over the intercooler and with the hood up, across the engine. that same engine in the confines of our current engine bays with no "real" air movement would be a recipe for disaster imo. the oil/water cooled part is only on the center bearings to keep them cool as most turbos spin at over 100,000rpms.
    think to the big cigarette boats. turbo's offer "free" hp as they are essentially recycling spent energy where a supercharger has parasitic loss off the drive belt but you rarely ever see turbos on those boats as they run so hot where a supercharger generates very little heat.
    Interesting info. I don't know enough about high perf boats to know if they used turbos or not, but what you're saying makes sense as to why they don't. I would have assumed there were reasons why we don't see turbos on boats, but I didn't realize they couldn't (or haven't) design around an airflow issue. I wonder if this is also why we haven't seen diesels for wake boat applications, as they might require a turbo also?
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV