Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Board Recommendation

I saw a couple of older threads on wakesurfer reviews, but did not see anything super recent.
    I am looking for some suggestions for a new board to be used by me and probably most other adults on the boat. I am a relative beginner to this (just started last season) & am in the neighborhood of 220lbs. I have surfed on a friends HL Broadcast and the kids CWB ride. My wake is not huge (750 on surf side, 300 in ski locker, & then people on surf side), but not bad. Kids surf only after their primary runs are done (boarding/skiing), while that is all I will likely do.

Any suggestions (or a link to a semi-recent threrad) would be appreciated.
    2012 OBV

The Liquid Force Fish is a entry level board. lots of stability and forward rocker so you don't sink the nose. It's a LOT easier to ride than the broadcast I have. I have 3 boards right now and the broadcast hardly ever gets used.

I have the 5'6 Fish and I still enjoy it. I kinda wish I would have got the 5'0 though as I'm 160 to 170 pounds, but I can still rip on it.

If you get a 5'0 fish, I'll trade ya my 5'6!

Or hell, just buy my 5'6 fish from me (perfect condition) and I'll get myself a replacement.

Last edited by trayson; 10-30-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Fun on the fish:
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

i would go with a shred stixx semi pro or the big chief (this is what i ride, i would consider my self leaning on the advanced side of things but have beginners/first timers ride my board every weekend.) The beginners like it more than the 5 6' broadcast that i have also because it stays in the pocket easier for them and is super sticky.
    The benifit of these boards is that the better you get, you dont have to get new board to improve you riding. I can pop airs when every i want, 360s (a bit harder with the long fins) and hard slayshs, no problem.
    Plus they are hand made and extra cool.

2017 Helix

Wakemakers 1050s
    Bow bag ( Surf edition)
    Autowake

Boards haven't changed much in the last year or so.() I've heard many say that surfs from wakeboard companies are usually mediocre. I have only ridden a few, but would tend to agree.

Triple X are always a great starting point for a fast/slippery skim style board and their longer boards will ride guys your size. You can also find some sweet eBay deals over the winter. Seller is tcam123.

I'd really like to try a shred stixx surf style board like the above mentioned or a piranha. Just haven't found one in the budget yet.

Also suggest cruising through the Archives to get more real-world feedback:

https://forum.moomba.com/archive/index.php/f-13.html
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I am 220lbs. I learned on a CWB Ride I bought 7 years ago and rode it until halfway through this year. Finally decided to upgrade, and I went to a TripleX Comp ProX which I absolultely LOVE and the price was great. The Ride is significantly more stable and is definitely a much better all-around board for anybody to ride. I teach all sorts of different sized and ability peope on the Ride. However, even some of the people that are better "intermediates" that try my TripleX have trouble controlling it as it is significantly lighter and much faster edge to edge (i.e. "squirrely"). I am still able to do quite a bit on the ride and can spin decently on it even (I removed the front fin and center rear fin after I progressed beyond "beginner" my first season). It is heavy and big compared to my TripleX, but that's better for beginner/intermediates. Compared to the LF Fish, I prefer the Ride becuase it's a skim style instead of surf style, but that's really a personal preference.

If you want to see a 220lb guy on a Comp ProX, I posted a video in the "let's see your surf wave" thread a month ago or so.

I would strongly suggest the CWB Ride for you at your level, and plan for an upgrade in 1-2 years as you progress. However the Ride will still be very handy for all the people you'll teach the sport! You could start out on a more advanced board, but it would be like learning to drive in a Ferrari instead of a Cavalier.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

One nice thing about the CWB ride and the Hyperlight's is that they fit the standard Moomba wakeboard racks and that can save a little money by not buying a new rack, anyway just something to think about thats not mentioned very often
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    One nice thing about the CWB ride and the Hyperlight's is that they fit the standard Moomba wakeboard racks and that can save a little money by not buying a new rack, anyway just something to think about thats not mentioned very often
    True statement...it's pretty tight, but it fits.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    True statement...it's pretty tight, but it fits.
    Yeah my shred stixx is not even close to fitting, but I wouldnt even take that into consideration, you can tie a couple of bungie cords to your bimini and away you go.
    2017 Helix

Wakemakers 1050s
    Bow bag ( Surf edition)
    Autowake

Agree with Saskie99 - I'd get the board you want, make it fit later.

I'm not sure they even make this rack anymore but it handles thicker boards nicely. Jaw opening is about 2.25-2.5", and longer forks for more support of surfs since they're wider.

Could probably lay another board pad side down on the top arm and bungie it right in with the other.

So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...