Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2002 LSV Re-upolhstery & Hydroturff

Six hours in, still have the large stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Default Re: 2002 LSV Re-upolhstery & Hydroturff

Finally done with the demo, now I can start ordering materials..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Subscribed, can't wait to see how this turns out. Keep up the good work.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I looked high and low with some trial and error before ordering stainless hinges from ATL Marine. They are 24" offset stainless 2.5" piano hinges. I ended up cutting them down to about 18". Have the part number somewhere around here - you have to go through a dealer for them. I looked EVERYWHERE before going through the dealer.... (Thanks to Jake {Beat Taco} for helping to hunt around too.)

I used 12" gas struts and got the ball mounting brackets from an RV parts store. I think I'm going to bump up to either a stronger holding force or a longer strut because these ones are not holding consistently like they should. The upholstery shop just threw them in so they may have been on their way out to begin with.

If you want I can send you some pics of how it's setup. I absolutely love it compared to the 1 piece.
    Those hinges are expensive $59 each?!?!...Does the 3 panels really make any difference?

Yeah, they are spendy. But for me, whenever I wanted something out of the rear compartment (rope, towel, check on ballast filling) it seemed the majority of the time someone was either sitting strapping on a board or laying out in the sun. "Everybody move" and the whole engine compartment had to come open.

Now it's just open one or "slide over for a sec" and I never have to open the center over the engine. I had wanted to do that for about 6 years.

I hunted far and wide and didn't come up with any hinges that were really any less expensive for the right size. Could have gone with 4 smaller ones from Great Lakes Skipper that I'm sure I could have made work; but they were coming in at the $25ea range...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Yeah, they are spendy. But for me, whenever I wanted something out of the rear compartment (rope, towel, check on ballast filling) it seemed the majority of the time someone was either sitting strapping on a board or laying out in the sun. "Everybody move" and the whole engine compartment had to come open.

Now it's just open one or "slide over for a sec" and I never have to open the center over the engine. I had wanted to do that for about 6 years.

I hunted far and wide and didn't come up with any hinges that were really any less expensive for the right size. Could have gone with 4 smaller ones from Great Lakes Skipper that I'm sure I could have made work; but they were coming in at the $25ea range...
    Forgot about someone putting their board on, that always happens when I need to check something..Did you ccut it into 3 sections or someone else? Did you need to make the slimmer or anything? Guess I need to re-install the pad, cut it, then install the hinges to make sure everything fits before doing the upholstery...
    Last edited by parrothd; 11-06-2013 at 04:57 PM.

The XLV came with three sections but never thought about it. There is no reason to open the engine section so the person sitting there was never bothered. Safer also, no large hole for someone to fall into with potential moving parts and hot surfaces.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    Did you ccut it into 3 sections or someone else? Did you need to make the slimmer or anything? Guess I need to re-install the pad, cut it, then install the hinges to make sure everything fits before doing the upholstery...
    Before I removed the big one piece, I got inside with a sharpie, straight edge and flash light and marked it on the bottom where the cuts should be. Lined it up with the edges of the pylon frame/support that goes down on the sides of the engine - where the divider/support walls mount. I didn't make sure they were the same size, just eyeballed it and they had to have been close since the engine is hopefully dead center.

The upholstery shop actually made the cuts after foam was pulled off the backer fiberglass(?) panels. I had 95% of my foam replaced on the whole upholstery job so they didn't have to worry about the foam cuts. I emphasized that I wanted a super tight fit on the 3 deck cushions - minimal gap at the seams.

If you are reusing your existing foam you may want to do a thin/soft layer of new foam over the tops (there was a name for it but can't recall what) to fill in anything lost during the cut. Keep the cushions nice and snug.

I also had them sew on pull straps in the corners so I didn't have to worry about handles sticking up or recessed cut outs to grab when opening the compartments.

(And now's a good time to do something about that pesky pylon sticking too far up!)

Copied from a Tige I saw at a past boat show...

Is that black or dark gray for the accent color?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dark Gray - color was called graphite. I used the same shade to redo all the plastics, steering wheel, handles, etc.