Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

LOL. Best advice for any project. Not as bad as a drill but I stapled through my finger into a floor joist late into a wiring job. Pulling it out of the wood wasn't bad. Pulling out of the finger however...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I'm sure we all have some good stories to tell about idiotic accidents when tired...........like the time I pushed my thumb into my table saw blade and got about a 1/2" in before I realized what I had done!! It was actually very strange -- the blade was so sharp there was hardly any pain (except for the days following!!), but it took me quite a while to clean up all the blood!!

......sorry for those eating while reading this....
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Made me hungry.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EricU View Post
    Parrot, don't try to "fix" seams, its a one way pass thru.

Mark the backside that you have up facing you with chalk or lightly with ball point pen (can cause big problems with ink bleed through on lighter colors), hand start your seam and go a nice constant speed and just follow your line. Let the machine do the work. I used to mark with a dashed line with white chalk.

And most of all, practice a bunch with just two pieces of vinyl until you get comfortable, you will need to get the muscle memory down first. I sat down at a machine about a year ago after not doing it for about 15 years, stunk at first, then picked it back up after about 20 minutes. So just start burning through some practice pieces and when you are tired, stop.
    It's the same lesson from mudding/tapping drywall, it's just so hard not to try to fix it...

Does the stitch length cause any issues? I was playing around with long and short stitch length, the short looks better/tighter but I was wondering if it weakens the vinyl leading to tearing/splitting. Like I said I was just playing around with this one, trying to figure out "how" to cut and sew them all at once. I'm going to experiment with cutting one s curved piece overlapping that onto an uncut piece, that way I can see the lines, and the trim the excess.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    It's the same lesson from mudding/tapping drywall, it's just so hard not to try to fix it...
    And concrete flatwork also!

Does the stitch length cause any issues? I was playing around with long and short stitch length, the short looks better/tighter but I was wondering if it weakens the vinyl leading to tearing/splitting. Like I said I was just playing around with this one, trying to figure out "how" to cut and sew them all at once. I'm going to experiment with cutting one s curved piece overlapping that onto an uncut piece, that way I can see the lines, and the trim the excess.
    Start with non-backed vinyls (the fuzzy stuff)

Use the correct needle and try a Teflon foot

Use the correct thread, call one of the vinyl suppliers, tell them what you are doing and ask which thread to use.

Vinyl likes longer stitch lengths, start with 6-8 per inch

Use a seam sealer product on your final pieces - helps make it water tight

Tension affects how much tension or tightness is in the bobbin thread and the spool thread. To figure out how to set your tension, stitch a straight line on a scrap piece of the vinyl that you are using. If the tension is correct, the stitches on top of the vinyl and the stitches underneath will be equally tight. If one side is tighter than the other, make small adjustments until they are equal

Put a piece of thin tissue paper underneath your pieces if they start dragging, usually isn’t too much of a problem, but certain machines (tables) will cause drag

Perfect Fit is a good online supplier http://www.perfectfit.com/15992/Marine--Exterior.html

Don't be scared, it isn't like concrete, the material is relatively cheap. Keep practicing

• What kind of machine are you using?
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Default Re: 2002 LSV Re-upolhstery & Hydroturff

Hydro arrived

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Your boat is going to look great.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

is the hydroturf going in over all the floor including the storage lockers and under the seats? Putting Seadek or hydroturf in my storage lockers is on my winter to do list. can't wait to see how it comes out.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Just in the main floor area, including the walk way and front area. My ballast covers those other areas so it's unseen..

There's a 15% discount for the hydro..