Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tower speakers

Default tower speakers

I am on the hunt for a system upgrade. All i currently have is 4 stock speakers that came in my boat and head unit. Im looking for 2 tower speakers and a good amp. I could care less to be the loudest on the lake, I just want some music while we surf. I have been looking at the "bronze package" from roswell. Any suggestions before i order this package?
    Thanks
    Dylan

Dylan
    2012 MOOMBA LSV

Lots of Exile fans around here. I put Exile in our boat and love it.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

Default tower speakers

Same here! I've done full Exile setups in 3 boats and all are fantastic!
    2013 Outback V

All depends on what you want to spend and how to want to listen (surf distance closer proximity to boat) or (project to wakeboard distances)?
    Some popular brands are Exile, Wetsounds, Kicker, and Bullet.
    I ran Bullets on my last boat - loved them.
    Thinking about going Wetsounds REV 10 on my next tower due to the fact I want to stay with 1 pair, want them to be white cans to match tower, and a 10in will fill the space nicely and provide less piercing at surf distance and still project. If I keep the 770's I'll probably buy a second pair and have to get cans powdercoated. Still undecided.

I might be willing to part with my Bullet 770's if interested you can pm me

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by deelan_ View Post
    I am on the hunt for a system upgrade. All i currently have is 4 stock speakers that came in my boat and head unit. Im looking for 2 tower speakers and a good amp. I could care less to be the loudest on the lake, I just want some music while we surf. I have been looking at the "bronze package" from roswell. Any suggestions before i order this package?
    Thanks
    Dylan
    Im not sure what the "bronze" package is, so I cannot comment on it specifically or how it may compare to other setups.

For a surf setup, I would suggest either 2 pair of 6.5" on a 2 chnl amp or a single pair of 8" bridged on a quality 4 chnl. The Kicker KM654 in the KMTD double pods paired with the KXM400.2 is a respectable setup. The Wet Sounds Icon-8 bridged on a Kicker KXM400.4 or Arc XDi450.4. A top shelf setup would be the Wet Sounds Rev-10 on a Syn-4. Although Kicker does not yet have their own pods yet, the new KM8 is an impressive speaker in a pod. A single pair bridged on a KXM400.4 or 2 pair on an Acr KS300.2 is awesome.

Can't speak to Roswell. Don't know who makes their equipment or if they do their own. If you don't need huge volume I would consider Kicker and/or Rockford Fosgate. Both are cheaper than the elite brands and sound great. Tower 8" Rockfords can be had for about $400 I believe.
    2006 Outback V
    1992 Ski Nautique Open Bow

I went with an Exile surf setup this past summer and am extremely pleased. 4 speakers on the tower and then also replaced my 6 cabin speakers. Amp driving the cabins. Amp driving the towers and a ZLD to control the zones and volume.
    Derek & Poppy
    2010 Mobius LSV Sandrock/Fossil
    Gravity III ballast, wake plate, Z5, LEDs from Oznium (cup holders, helm, transom)
    Exile SX65M Cabin Speakers w/ Exile XM 15.4
    Exile SXT9Q Tower Speakers w/ Exile XM 30.2
    Exile 12" sub w/ XM12.1
    Exile ZLD MKII

Ok, with a quick look, here is what you are looking at so you can make a comparison. The "bronze" package is a single pair of 6.5 pods loaded with focal drivers and a 4 chnl amp. Lest assume that the amp delivers the advertised wattage. You would need to use only one half of the amp, and wire each speaker to its one chnl. This would be 90W rms to each pod.

For an apples to apples, in terms of speaker size and amp wattage, the Kicker KM654 and KXM400.2 would be something to look at. This setup would deliver 100W rms to each pod and also allow for a 2nd set to be added. I can say without any doubt, the Kicker amp will deliver its stated wattage and all components are built from the ground up as marine gear.

A single pair of larger Wet Sounds Icon-8 or Kicker KM8 bridged on a KXM400.4, would deliver deeper mid-bass, for a smoother sound.

Universal amp kits are a tough call. For some boats, they are more than needed, and not enough for others. This one is all 4ga, so its going to be fairly easy to see its going to limit the current draw of future expansion.

My boat came with a full Exile set up and it is awesome. I can't really compare it to anything else but I can tell you I had to call Exile to get a new mounting bracket on for one of my tower speakers and they were incredibly helpful figuring out exactly what I needed and they sent it to me free of charge. I even tried to pay them for it since I wasn't the one who bought the system from them and they said no. Great customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Default tower speakers

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    My boat came with a full Exile set up and it is awesome. I can't really compare it to anything else but I can tell you I had to call Exile to get a new mounting bracket on for one of my tower speakers and they were incredibly helpful figuring out exactly what I needed and they sent it to me free of charge. I even tried to pay them for it since I wasn't the one who bought the system from them and they said no. Great customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.
    I couldn't agree more about the great customer service from Exile.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there