Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
...I not sure on the stepped lighting...can get expensive quick if you start messing around with electrical especially if you don't have a dedicated panel for power...
The stepped lighting is real simple with 4' fluorescents as it is not a true stepped lighting system. You just need to add two more switches (or four if you have two doors for running three ways). The real simple and cheap way is just to put every third light on the first switch circuit, another third of the lights on the second switch and the last third of the lights on the last switch.

The trick way is when we run multiple ballast in a bunch of four-bulb fluorescent fixtures, then we wire one bulb in each fixture to the first switch, a second bulb to the second switch and the last two bulbs on the third switch. It gives a way to add false dimming to a garage full of 4' fluorescents.

Either way, (I would just do the first as it is cheap) you still just run one circuit into your first three-gang switch box by the man-door. Switches are CHEAP! and it is just a little more Romex for the switch leg drops.

eric, you have outlets 12" off the ground in a garage? every place I've ever been has been 4ft in the garage as standard. I would think code would prevent low outlets in a garage as being legal unless you are finishing a garage as livable space.
Yeah, around hear, we always insulate, rock, tape and do at least a knock-down texture then paint it "Swiss Coffee" which is actually a white color.

And another thing to do is run pvc in the wall and convert to metal pipe to come out of the wall in various locations for your air compressor. Easy to do before you rock in the walls.

And run that speaker wire, coil up a bunch of 14 ga up above the bottom cord of the trusses and use electrical tape to a nail, take photos of where they are. Then you just use the round in-ceiling speakers that hang in-between the bottom cords (or ceiling joists), cut a round hole, which takes about two minutes with the right $18 drywall circle tool and then just reach in with a wire coat hanger (if you are old enough to have see one not made of plastic - Damn! I am old!!) and pull your speaker wires down, hook them up and stuff the speakers in the hole. You can even paint the speakers and covers for a custom look! In my home theatre I used the cheap Monoprice speakers for my rear surrounds, painted them black and left the covers off, everybody thinks that they are some high end custom units because I have a decent set of front L-R-C Martin Logans. Also, home run each speaker run and don't daisy chain them as it gives you more flexibility.

Anyway, I will now get off of my soapbox and good luck with your project, it looks awesome (except for them damn snakes!!!)