Thread: Headlights

Default Headlights

I have a 2004 Mobius LSV. Has anyone retro fit headlights to these boats. I would love to have some for those late night returns to the dock.

Thanks

Foster Lee
    2014 Mojo w/manual surf

2004 Mobius LSV-sold

Are you talking about docking lights, then yes you can retro fit. They won't do much good other than docking fyi.

I would first check with your local coast guard office, DNR or wildlife office or who ever is over the enforcement of water way laws. There is a reason boats do not come with "headlights", although some think docking lights are headlights. On most lakes, they are a moving violation. If you read the lighting section, you will find that only a white 360 and the red/green NAV lights are supposed to be on and visible when under way.

Underway with your docking lights on would prevent an oncoming boat frm seeing your red or green NAV light. It would appear to that boat that he is either approaching from the stern or your are not under way. This could lead to an accident. The next thing to consider is your night vision. Any bright light in or around the boat will kill your night vision. Your pupils will contract, letting less light in. So those docking lights will actually make it harder to see, not better. This puts everyone at risk.

We spend a ton of time out after dark. Ive even gone so far as to place a towel over the helm to cover the helm illumination that cant be dimmed or turned off. Once your eyes adjust to the dark, channel markers and hazards will be far easier to see then if you tried to light them up with docking lights or tower mounted forward facing spot lights.

Thanks for the info. My mistake in the description. I was referring to docking lights not headlights.

Thanks for the help
    2014 Mojo w/manual surf

2004 Mobius LSV-sold