Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Vinyl?

Default Best Vinyl?

OK...need some help having seat's recovered and was wondering what brand vinyl is the best seems
    Seaquest ,Capitono and Atlantis are what most are using just wondering how these brands hold up...Thanks.
    2004 Mobius LSV 340 HP
    Gravity III Ballast
    750s in Rear
    Stock 400 in Front

Would like this info too, and also where to get the piping.. Someone else mentioned garysupholstrey.com, they have several brands..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk now Free
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    Would like this info too, and also where to get the piping.. Someone else mentioned garysupholstrey.com, they have several brands...
    I got mine from PerfectFit up Oregon way, they have a shop in Washington also.

Use the 32 oz materials and you make the piping yourself. Don't forget the new Carbon Fiber look materials - if you are doing a large project, get samples.
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Can't say on actual brand but my new stuff is Naugahyde. Very tough yet smooth/soft stuff. Very light little texture to it. (Girls didn't want texture tattoos after laying out for a while...) Carbon fiber is cool for sure, but I'd suggest keeping that to just the accents and smaller panels. Same with the piping. After lots of hours of research and mockups we minimized piping on areas where you would lay or lean to avoid the big stripes across your skin.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I was thinking of skipping the piping, but follow the existing color layout.. Do you know approximately how many yards were used?

Sorry - not a clue. Just that it took a few months and cost A LOT... I did watch the guy measure and count cushions for when he did the estimate so I'm guessing its not too hard to figure out.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Default Best Vinyl?

14 yards of your main color and 5 yards of accent.
    -Jake

Default Re: Best Vinyl?

Thanks!

So I was looking at the 36oz with extra protection coatings for $25-30 a yard, a heavy duty sewing machine, which adds up too around $700. So probably closer to $1000 with form and misc..

Does that look right? Last time I had someone else make the skins, I figure I can use the old skins as the template.. Then again I haven't sewn anything in 20+ years.. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    ...Carbon fiber is cool for sure, but I'd suggest keeping that to just the accents and smaller panels.
    I agree, and this is where you really need to get samples. The different carbon fiber colors really have different effects.

Same with the piping. After lots of hours of research and mockups we minimized piping on areas where you would lay or lean to avoid the big stripes across your skin.
    I would use piping only on the ends of the cushions, not where two different colors meet.
    I also usually change the rear swim deck covers to a single piece/color for each hatch (no horizontal seams) as that area gets the most sun, walking and laying on.
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Default Best Vinyl?

Texture tattoos, blasphemy! Never noticed any.

I did wipe out 3/4 of the piping.

Figure $100 for hidem welt, stainless staples, and thread.

To save time flip any mirrored patterns to keep from taking every old piece apart.

And notice the small v-notches. The factory skins will have line up marks in ink you will see when you cut them apart, cut these v-notches into the old skins where you see them, then when you trace the pattern on to the new vinyl you will have guides to put the patterns back together.
    -Jake