Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have one that travels in the truck especially on longer trips. Would hate to lose more than a day do to not having it with me. I was told right when i bought the boat. That especially with inboards and the soft Nebral props. Its not a matter of IF/more a Matter of WHEN. So far so good,but i am prepared, with prop and puller.
    07 Outback DD

Default Do you carry a spare prop?

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.---Wolfeism
    Ahhhhh, you have remembered your lessons well, Grasshopper.

I plan on getting an Acme #1433 to replace the stock one. I was going to sell the current one but I think I will probably keep it as a spare. So there is no way to change the prop while in the water, the boat has to be on the trailer right?
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    ...So there is no way to change the prop while in the water, the boat has to be on the trailer right?
    I guess you could if there were NO other option, but how long would it take to get the boat back to wherever it is to get it out of the water? It would be a PITA

You can go pretty far with a bent/dinged prop (I know!)

Once out of the water, it should be less than half an hour to swap a prop. If you haven't done it before, I would suggest watching the WM/Youtube video and R&R one in the comfort of your own driveway (the beers are cheaper).

While at the lake, keep the spare prop, puller, crescent wrench, dykes and 2x4 all in the same place (or easy to find)
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    I plan on getting an Acme #1433 to replace the stock one. I was going to sell the current one but I think I will probably keep it as a spare. So there is no way to change the prop while in the water, the boat has to be on the trailer right?
    I take a spare prop and leave it in the tow rig on out of town trips. Definitely a good idea to have a spare on a multi-day trip in case you ding your prop the first day.

You can change it on the water. You will need a block of wood to put between the bottom of the boat and the top of the prop to keep the prop shaft from rotating when you back out the prop nut. An extra pair of hands will definitely help as well as swim goggles since you will be doing all of it underwater.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    ...You can change it on the water. You will need a block of wood to put between the bottom of the boat and the top of the prop to keep the prop shaft from rotating when you back out the prop nut. An extra pair of hands will definitely help as well as swim goggles since you will be doing all of it underwater.
    I would take the 15 minutes to load the boat on a trailer. Dropping the nut in the water would just be more fun for the family.

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by EricU View Post
    I would take the 15 minutes to load the boat on a trailer. Dropping the nut in the water would just be more fun for the family.
    Agreed. But if I was a long way from the boat ramp I would be tempted to try it. Which brings up a good point - if you are going to carry a spare prop on your boat, then you should also carry a spare prop nut and key.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Just for fun.... Would you theoretically be attempting this near the shore or out in the middle?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Just for fun.... Would you theoretically be attempting this near the shore or out in the middle?
    I sure hope it would be near shore, I can just see a $700 prop plummeting 50 or more feet down to a nice muddy bottom!

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I would definitely not be attempting this where I could not touch the bottom. Best case is that you could get to the shore with a gentle slope and could attempt this in chest deep water.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV