Thread: Coolant Volume

Hybrid View

Default Coolant Volume

I did an experiment today while winterizing my vdrive. I recovered and measured the volume of coolant/water in the vdrive, intake hoses,block,heater,exhaust manifold and muffler. I recovered 20 litres or 5 gallons of water. The muffler holds a fair bit of water. So for all those who think sucking up 5 gal of plumbing antifreeze is good you are mistaken. You need 30% prop glycol for protection to -40. If you are using 100% prop glycol then you would want 4 gallons of it. If your using -50 plumbing antifreeze you would need 40 gallons of it.
    So unless you have 100% prop glycol you need to drain your system to get any freeze protection IMO
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

5 gallons in the system, never ever would have thought it was that much.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Were would one put 40 gallons?

Quote Originally Posted by cornrickey View Post
    Were would one put 40 gallons?
    Sorry , you would need only 35 gallons of -50 plumbing antifreeze to bring the water in your system to a 30% solution to give you -40 burst protection. If you can get 95% industrial prop glycol 4 gallons circulated into your system will bring the water down to a -50 burst protection
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug