View Poll Results: How long do you run your blower?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

6 15.38%
  • For some period of time prior to starting and then turn it off after underway

29 74.36%
  • Never (hopefully no one does this!!)

4 10.26%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I turn it on every time before I start the boat, and I don't turn it off until it's back at the dock and the motor is shut off. Every now and then if I'm driving and we're under way I'll shut it off (back on when we stop), but that blower is pretty cheap and easy to replace so I won't be upset if it burns up and I have to replace it. Never had to replace it in my Launch after 7 years of doing the same thing. I don't really do it because I'm afraid my boat will blow up from fumes in the engine bay, but I figure it helps with overall air flow and doesn't hurt anything so why not...also now it's just habit.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Tige specific? Do other brands do this? Seems like a good idea
    don't know. on all with tigetouch. nice i'll say, but i'd give it all upfor good old fashioned switches... they almost never fail.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I think the new Supras with the Vision have a similar feature if I am not mistaken.

I run mine a the launch ramp when we are loading gear in the boat but once she is in the water under her own power it gets turned off and doesn't come back on unless she sits with the engine off for a prolonged period of time.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I turn it on for a few minutes at the ramp when we launch the boat then turn it off after that. If we are trying to teach someone to board or surf and I spend a lot of time at idle speed circling back to bring them the rope, then I will run it to draw some of the hot air out. Also, on hot days (over 85 or so), I will run it all the time that the engine is running and for about 5 minutes after I shut it off if we are going to float for a while. I have never had vapor lock following this process.

I think that if you are underway and it's not too hot outside, enough air is going through the engine compartment that the blower does not need to be on. But on a hot day or during times when you spend a lot of time at slow speeds, I think it's a good idea to run it to help evacuate the hot air.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Default How long do you run your blower??

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    I turn it on for a few minutes at the ramp when we launch the boat then turn it off after that. If we are trying to teach someone to board or surf and I spend a lot of time at idle speed circling back to bring them the rope, then I will run it to draw some of the hot air out. Also, on hot days (over 85 or so), I will run it all the time that the engine is running and for about 5 minutes after I shut it off if we are going to float for a while. I have never had vapor lock following this process.

I think that if you are underway and it's not too hot outside, enough air is going through the engine compartment that the blower does not need to be on. But on a hot day or during times when you spend a lot of time at slow speeds, I think it's a good idea to run it to help evacuate the hot air.
    You said 85 is a hot day. Ha ha

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Honestly i never run it.

It originally was for Carb engines because you get a lot of fumes and this was to clear the fumes out before you started so you wouldn't get an explosion.

They still put them on boats as a safety item but if they really wanted them to be used every time i would think they would connect the blower to the start switch and make them interlock together.

On my fuel injected boats i have never had a fuel smell.

I turn it on each year for inspection and pretty much after that it never gets turned on unless one of my buddies drives that has an older boat that needs it and its his habit.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Honestly i never run it.

It originally was for Carb engines because you get a lot of fumes and this was to clear the fumes out before you started so you wouldn't get an explosion.

They still put them on boats as a safety item but if they really wanted them to be used every time i would think they would connect the blower to the start switch and make them interlock together.

I turn it on each year for inspection and pretty much after that it never gets turned on unless one of my buddies drives that has an older boat that needs it and its his habit.
    ding ding!

if it was meant to be run ALL the time then it would be wired to the ignition switch like the gauges or the fuel pump
    David

Default How long do you run your blower??

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post

Sent from my iPhone
    bwahahaa right, 85 degrees is dang near a fire place day in TX

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by jpetty3023 View Post
    bwahahaa right, 85 degrees is dang near a fire place day in TX
    Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    LOL! Yeah, hot is a relative term
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Honestly i never run it.

Agreed Mike. We do it out of habit at launch and I use it more to evacuate heat out of the engine compartment than fumes.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV