View Poll Results: Do you turn your boat off to switch riders?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Almost always

38 65.52%
  • Almost never

4 6.90%
  • A little of both

16 27.59%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Do you turn the boat off to switch riders?

I do everytime. We don't switch out like one after the other so there's usually some lag time and I do t want the rider inhaling exhaust fumes.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Depends who is riding and if they are ready. On a buddies boat we have switched surfers with out stopping the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    I almost never do if I'm driving (I'm the "1" for almost never). However, if anybody else is in the driver seat (which is only when I ride), I shut the boat off every time for them. So as the question is posed, if I were driving all day then no I never really do unless we're adjusting a significant amount of ballast or ropes or something.
    Out of curioisity, why don't you shut it off?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Default Re: Do you turn the boat off to switch riders?

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Out of curioisity, why don't you shut it off?
    No particular reason, as long as I'm in the driver's seat. If I'm in the driver's seat, I'm completely in control and completely responsible for the boat, so I don't see the need to. No incidents ever.

If for any reason I leave the driver's seat, whether to change a rope or whatever, and there is a rider near the rear of the boat either on the boat or in the water, I shut it down. The only time I don't is when I'm the only one in the boat, and that's often since it's usually just me and my neighbor out. But when my kids are in the boat or anybody else, if I leave that drivers seat and somebody is on the back, it gets shut down and I even sometimes take the key out. My 2 year old son likes to turn the key and play with the throttle lol.

As the question was posed, I guess I took it as if I'm driving, which therefore my answer is almost never. I guess overall, it's some of both actually.

Sent from my fourth replacement Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 4...
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

Always shut it down as soon as the skier is done and near the boat. Not so much for gas but I don't need anyone sucking in CO. We do what we can to minimize the time it takes to switch but still kill it.
    The worst seems to be when you are approaching the swim platform and you suck in a lung full of exhaust.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

My boat with the 325 and no cats must run pretty clean because I am often at the platform while it's running and I don't ever even notice the exhaust. Or maybe I've just inhaled so much my senses are numb haha. In any case exhaust fumes have never influenced my behavior as far as shutting the engine off.

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Just remember carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless. We all have this notion that we can see and or smell exhaust fumes. But, carbon monoxide may be present even when there are no typical indications of exhaust gases present.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I used to stand behind the busses in elementary school just to smell the diesel exhaust....mmmmmmmmm

Sent from my fourth replacement Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 4...
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

I never shut down unless switching drivers. My crew is pretty proficient as far as switching riders so the slight time on the clock doesn't bother me. I find that the wear on the starter, ring gear, ect is not worth shutting it off.

With that said when we are going out wakeboarding there is somebody at the end of the line 90% of the time. The only time that we float is to fill ballast.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Just remember carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless. We all have this notion that we can see and or smell exhaust fumes. But, carbon monoxide may be present even when there are no typical indications of exhaust gases present.
    Yeah but you're putting out minimal exhaust at idle and it's getting very diluted very quickly as it immediately disperses into the atmosphere. It would take a long time for someone sitting in the swim platform to feel adverse affects of carbon monoxide. Now if you were in the water holding the grab rail with your face right at the gap between the platform and boat where the exhaust bubbles up you might get a high amount of CO.

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD