View Poll Results: Do you turn your boat off to switch riders?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Almost always

38 65.52%
  • Almost never

4 6.90%
  • A little of both

16 27.59%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Do you turn the boat off to switch riders?

The wakeplate thread made me ponder ....

Do you shut off your boat when switching riders or let it idle? I've been out with guys that do both and was curious what the majority of the Moomba crew does.

For us, it depends on the occasions.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

I always do. Can't tell you why. Just a habit I picked up from riding with other people before I had a boat I guess.
    2008 Mobius XLV - SOLD

I do. It is a habit I got from skiing most of my life behind outboards.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Quote Originally Posted by jstenger View Post
    I do. It is a habit I got from skiing most of my life behind outboards.
    Same here.
    07 Mobius LS--Razorback Red

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    I try to switch off to save the hours/gas, but this year we used the heater continuously and whenever I start the boat it kills the radio which disconnects my bluetooth..

I keep people moving so there's little down time, have the next person get ready while the current person is finishing their set, so they don't waste 5 minutes looking for their lifejacket.. I find we get more sets in with smooth water just need to remind them..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    My audio is wired seperately from the ignition circuit. I would consider doing the same. I have a master switch next to my WS420 that powers down all my remote turn on leads.

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    I ALWAYS shut it down when switching riders because I don't see any reason to leave the engine running, and plenty of reasons to shut it off, such as:

Peace of mind for the rider coming in that the prop is not turning.
    Reduce the CO at the back of the boat. Who wants to breath CO while putting their board on and getting ready to ride?
    Saves gas.
    Saves hours on the boat.

Even if someone is using the heater, I still shut it off. My Perfect Pass powers back on and remembers the set speed before I key it off so no issues there. Just fire it up and go.

Al
    ^^^^ pretty much this. we aren't generally in that much of a hurry to swap out riders. And likewise my PP remembers the last setting.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I almost never do if I'm driving (I'm the "1" for almost never). However, if anybody else is in the driver seat (which is only when I ride), I shut the boat off every time for them. So as the question is posed, if I were driving all day then no I never really do unless we're adjusting a significant amount of ballast or ropes or something.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

I Almost always shut mine off. The only time I do not is when I am picking up a rider really quickly because someone is going to hit us or we are going to hit the shore line.

This comes from learning to ski behind an outboard. There is also many things that can go wrong leaving the engine on. Someone could fall, hit this throttle and away you go. This has happened to me. First thought I had was I am glade the boat is off.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    I almost never do if I'm driving (I'm the "1" for almost never). However, if anybody else is in the driver seat (which is only when I ride), I shut the boat off every time for them. So as the question is posed, if I were driving all day then no I never really do unless we're adjusting a significant amount of ballast or ropes or something.
    Out of curioisity, why don't you shut it off?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Yes, always.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Always. Clearly the risks due directly to propeller contact are far lower with an inboard and swim platform than OB and IO boats, but it's just not worth the risk of an unintended action.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini