Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 2014 Moomba Automatic Wakeplate

Hey guys, just found this while doing some web surfing.

Moomba's New Automatic Wakeplate

September 19, 2013

Are you aware that the Moomba wakeplate system has some new user-friendly functionality for 2014? Moomba's wakeplate now has performance logic built into it, so that the driver does not have to adjust the plate as often. Actually, truth be told, the wakeplate itself is the same. The performance change is controlled by the new Digital Cruise Pro II system on the dash.

For starters, the wakeplate now automatically drops down to 100% deflection when you stop the boat. This helps the boat plane off faster when you go to accelerate again.
    If your speed control is off, then the plate re-sets to a 50% deflection when the boat accelerates faster than 15 mph.
    If your speed control is on, then the plate re-sets to a 50% delfection when you accelerate past 50% of your SET speed.
    For instance, if you are wakeboarding at a 22 mph set speed, then the wakeplate will automatically re-set at 11 mph. If you are surfing at a 10 mph set speed, then it will reset at 5 mph.

The wakeplate function is not programmable, but it does have a memory. If the driver adjusts the wakeplate while operating the boat, say from 50% to 30%, then it will continue to re-set to 30% every time the boat accelerates, until the boat is keyed off. Once the boat is keyed off, then on again, it automatically resets to the 50% deflection level once it crosses the speed adjustment threshold.

This new auto wakeplate functionality applies to all M Series Moomba models: Mondo, Mobius LSV, and Mojo 2.5. It is not available on the Outback V.

For a little background information on wakeplate performance, the wakeplate has two main functions. 1) In the down position, it helps the boat get on plane faster. It does this by adding "Hook" to the back of the boat. Hook drives the nose of the boat down, and lifts the rear of the boat, resulting in faster acceleration. 2) Once the boat is on plane, the wakeplate give the user the ability to adjust the bow attitude of the boat. This also changes the shape of the wakes. Generally, when the wakeplate is up, the bow is up (stern is down). This tends to allow the wakes to come up to their maximum size, or steeper shaped on the ramp of the wake. When the wakeplate is down, the bow is down (stern is lifted). This tends to flatten or soften the wakes. It is best to be familiar with all of the variations of wakeplate settings of each Moomba model, and how they can change with various speeds, ballast, and people in the boat. if you ever experience a bouncing feeling in the bow (a condition called porpoising) a simple tap downward on the wakeplate will stop that. If it does not stop it, then there is too much weight towards the stern of the boat.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Quote Originally Posted by jstenger View Post

The wakeplate function is not programmable, but it does have a memory. If the driver adjusts the wakeplate while operating the boat, say from 50% to 30%, then it will continue to re-set to 30% every time the boat accelerates, until the boat is keyed off. Once the boat is keyed off, then on again, it automatically resets to the 50% deflection level once it crosses the speed adjustment threshold.
    never been a fan of too much technology in the boating environment other than perfect pass. what I see here is one more thing to remember to tell someone driving the boat when riders switch(if you're like us and turn the engine off during switchout to allow fresh beers/pee breaks/etc and avoid unneeded hours on the boat). We all know it's hard enough to find someone that can give you that "perfect" tow that you, as the boat owner, provide to everyone on board. one more thing to try and teach them.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Interesting?!?! Ordered our new 2014 LSV and never heard one word about "automatic wakeplate". Guess I need to make a phone call to the dealer, we are to pick it up next week. From JSTENGER description seems complicated and I think if I had the option I might have suck with the manual system. One reason we choose the Moomba line because it didn't have all the fancy automatic computer stuff to go bad. Will See???
    2014 MOOMBA LSV
    1998 Response LX (sold)

I think that description made it sound more complicated than it actually is. Supra has this system already and all it does is set the wakeplate all the way down so that you always plane off as fast as possible instead of you manually putting it down to plane off quicker. Just makes it easier to pull boarders with a lot of weight since the plate will automatically be in the correct starting position and then move into the 50% standard setting once you're on plane. Great new feature, IMO.

Hmm, I don't like this at all. When I am pulling an intermediate to advanced wakeboarder (or when surfing), I typically have the wakeplate all the way up to maximize the height of the wake. With this automatic system, the wakeplate will deploy to the all the way down position at the start (which is good) but will go up to the 50% position once you reach 50% of your set speed (which is not good). So now you have to remember to bring it the rest of the way up manually.

Also, when pulling a beginner boarder, I leave the wakeplate all the way down all the time. With this automated system, it will go halfway up so I would have to remember to put it back down.

Is there a way to turn off the automatic function?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Hmm, I don't like this at all. When I am pulling an intermediate to advanced wakeboarder (or when surfing),

Take the battery out of its brain..... hope there is a bypass.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Interesting idea, would be better if it would reset to the previus position vrs half way. I do see the automatic advantage but think it would be a pain in actuall use.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Default Re: 2014 Moomba Automatic Wakeplate

As mentioned, supra has been doing this for a while. Are we sure it doesn't set back to previous location? Guess that could be controlled with the vision system, though?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Hmm, I don't like this at all. When I am pulling an intermediate to advanced wakeboarder (or when surfing), I typically have the wakeplate all the way up to maximize the height of the wake. With this automatic system, the wakeplate will deploy to the all the way down position at the start (which is good) but will go up to the 50% position once you reach 50% of your set speed (which is not good). So now you have to remember to bring it the rest of the way up manually.

Also, when pulling a beginner boarder, I leave the wakeplate all the way down all the time. With this automated system, it will go halfway up so I would have to remember to put it back down.

but you only have to adjust it manually the first pull of that KOOO cycle. all subsequent pulls without turning the engine off will automatically set the plate where YOU set it, not at 50%
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

" If the driver adjusts the wakeplate while operating the boat, say from 50% to 30%, then it will continue to re-set to 30% every time the boat accelerates, until the boat is keyed off."

read people
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD