Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Towing with the factory cover

So i have always had snap down covers on all my boats and i really like them. They are nice and tight, no flapping or rubbing on the boat as you tow. We are going to be ordering a new Craz and i'm wondering how well the new OEM covers will do when towing? Is it going to be flapping around as i'm doing 70mph or is it going to scratch the boat where it is cinched down around the boat? If it's a great fit and won't be a problem i will order it but if it's going to be an issue I will do a snap down after i get the boat. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Not sure if the moomba covers are similar to the Supra ones,

But the Supra covers are phenomenal. They pull a vacuum at speed and suction to the boat, no buffing or rubbing, water proof and ratchet tight around boat belt line.

Best cover I have ever used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I wouldn’t recommend towing with the cover on at 65+. Dealer says they aren’t good for long towing at highway speeds and I tend to agree. That being said the most I’ve done is around 45 taking my boat across town to our storage place and never had a problem with cover damage or scratching the gel coat
    2019 Moomba Craz - Autowake, 3600lb ballast + 400# lead,OJ 945
    2015 Monterey 204FSX sold

I have always tried to tow with the cover off if weather allows. Any buffeting of the cover will leave a mark. If you are towing through bad weather and can’t pull off till things clear off throw it on through the rain.
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

I do not tow with cover no matter. There are gonna be some spots where the cover vibrates or flaps and it'll do a number on the gel coat. One thing to do is to always have one of those big rolls of saran wrap from Costco in the truck. In a pinch, if you see there's severe weather coming and rain. put saran wrap around all the places of contact and then cover over it. I know it sounds silly but it works. I've heard other boaters recommend that and was kicking myself on sunday as I encountered heavy rain for 30 mins on way home, decided would just let it air dry in the garage rather than throw cover on. And I had been thinking about throwing the roll of Saran wrap in the truck for a while, for JIC, but forgot.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Default Towing with the factory cover

I have towed 500 miles trips between 70-80 mph cover on with ZERO scratching.

A couple years ago Ragboy towed his Supra SL 4300 miles with no scratching, I will search for his video.

https://youtu.be/gTWZwZwKny8

I swear to you, the Supra covers are outstanding and a must to tow cover on over the tower.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 06-30-2020 at 08:06 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I can’t say anything for the factory Moomba covers and towing but for about the same money you can get one from Outer Armor which is who makes the Supra cover. It has the same features as the Supra cover as far as creating “suction”. Only part that is different of course is Supras go over the folded tower and Moombas have to wrap around the tower. Haven’t done much towing with it yet but plan to tow with it on.

2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Thanks for the info on the Outer Armor, i have not heard of them before. I will have to check them out. We were at the dealer the other day and they had a lot of Supras and Moombas in the service/storage area with the covers on. The Supras for sure are very tight fitting and i could see how they would be great for towing and probably not rub at all. The Moomba cover seemed more of a canvas material, kid of storage cover. I think i will stick with the snap cover seeing that i do a lot towing.
    Last edited by 996scott; 06-30-2020 at 10:25 PM.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    Thanks for the info on the Outer Armor, i have not heard of them before. I will have to check them out. We were at the dealer the other day and they had a lot of Supras and Moombas in the service/storage area with the covers on. The Supras for sure are very tight fitting and i could see how they would be great for towing and probably not rub at all. The Moomba cover seemed more of a canvas material, kid of storage cover. I think i will stick with the snap cover seeing that i do a lot towing.
    They are sold through this company

https://poppycompany.com/

Their website isn’t very good so it is best to reach out to them and they can send pics of the cover on a Craz and tell you pricing.

There are also a few people on here that have gotten covers from Corey at Evolution Covers and they tow with them with no problems. He just didn’t have one for the Makai and then I found the Outer Armer one.

2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

I have the snap on cover with my Craz no issues towing 70+. I do remove the front pole.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead