Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Is it better to fill the tank with gas for winterization or leave empty or half full? Or does it matter? It seems like I hear something different from everybody I talk to about it.
    2013 Mobius LSV
    Lake, Sun, Cold Beer = Moomba Time: Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by jntMobiusLSV View Post
    Is it better to fill the tank with gas for winterization or leave empty or half full? Or does it matter? It seems like I hear something different from everybody I talk to about it.
    If you are forced to fill with ethanol blended fuel, the ideal method is to leave the tank near empty and treat with an addative that is designed to address the side effects of ethanol over time. Ethanol is like a sponge, and will absorb moisture at a greater rate then just plan gasoline. Once its saturated, the water and ethanol will fall out of suspension. This is called phase separation and leaves a blob in bottom of the tank. This will likely result in a no-start condition or the engine will run for a little, then stall when the fuel/water filter become full. The less fuel in the tank over the season, the less water that could be absorbed.

If you do choose to top off the tank, dont go much past 3/4 tank. As the spring temps warm up, the fuel will expand and purge out of the vent and down the side of the boat.

I never buy ethanol for the boat, so I fill it up per the manual.