Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Outback Gone?

Quote Originally Posted by BensonWdby View Post
    ...But in 10 years when all the wakeboarders are in knee braces - it may come back.
    When I was young (when dinosaurs roamed...), I was an ok skier, dipping elbows in the NorCal Delta and hanging out at Lost Isle, but I switched over to wakeboarding around '03 because of my knee brace!

It is funny though how during the seventies and eighties we were getting flatter and flatter wakes with with lower and lower profile boats (still miss some of my old V-drives and jets) and now we are dumping 3k lbs of water in our boats!

Sad to see some of these trends go
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Agree that it's sad but don't blame them one bit. Slalom skiing is dying for now. But, I expect it will come back again some day.
    Skiing will make a come back sooner or later, everything seems to cycle back at some point. Case in point is snow skiing and snow boarding. For the last 20 yrs snow boarding has been getting bigger and bigger. Skiers seem to be the minority now a days, but I have a friend who has been in the ski industry for 50+ years now and he told me the other day that last year was the first year that ski equipment outsold board equipment in a long time.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    Skiing will make a come back sooner or later, everything seems to cycle back at some point. Case in point is snow skiing and snow boarding. For the last 20 yrs snow boarding has been getting bigger and bigger. Skiers seem to be the minority now a days, but I have a friend who has been in the ski industry for 50+ years now and he told me the other day that last year was the first year that ski equipment outsold board equipment in a long time.
    Although technology breakthroughs in skiing do have something to do with that. The explosion of rocker and Rocker/camber/rocker tech has probably contributed to that. I board, my wife and son ski. And I've been investing in their gear to get them the new/better tech while leaving my board alone because mine is "fine" and probably not holding me back.

My wife almost bagged on the idea of skiing and was determined to be a boarder. Skiing made more sense for her, as she was a pro figure skater and having two skis just made sense. On mt Hood, everywhere she looked, it was snowboarder dominated. But I took her to Whistler and her outlook changed. Up there, with a more international crowd, skiing is still very alive and well.

I still intend on water skiing every now and again. I wear it as a badge of honor that I can deep water start and ride a single ski; because it makes wakeboarding and surfing look easy in comparison.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I still intend on water skiing every now and again. I wear it as a badge of honor that I can deep water start and ride a single ski; because it makes wakeboarding and surfing look easy in comparison.
    My wife and I say that same thing every year once we both get up -- another year of slalom skiing and with both of us turning 50 in the next few months that is definitely a badge of honor!!!

And that slalom run for this summer for me (only one this year and I'm still trying to recover from it ) came with a group of my son's 17 yr old friends in the boat and their jaws dropped when they saw an old, out-of-shape Dad do that on a single ski......gave them some respect for the old man again!!
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

I'm 27, I do slalom runs every year, used to run the course quite a few times each year. The lake I live on has a big group of real hard core skiers and they dominate the lake. Literally, they drive up to people and tell them to stop using their boats because they want flat water to ski on. Ironically though, this year I told them I would get out skiing with them, but I just never could take any time away from either wakeboarding or surfing to do it. Still haven't yet this year, and this is the first year in quite a while I havent, and ironically it's the best lake I've ever been on for it (and the most people I could ski with ever) lol. Maybe this weekend, as one of my last runs of the year!
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    Literally, they drive up to people and tell them to stop using their boats because they want flat water to ski on.
    REALLY... That would go over like a fart in church around here.

Skiing hours are from daybreak until 7am. Didn't you get the memo?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Default Re: Outback Gone?

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    REALLY... That would go over like a fart in church around here.

Skiing hours are from daybreak until 7am. Didn't you get the memo?
    Oh man. I always brag about my lake and how great it is, which it really is, but this is the one and only downfall. These guys literally think they own the water. At the beginning of the year we were cordial and I took turns on Saturday mornings when there were like 15 ski boats taking turns. Between memorial day and labor day the course has to come down at noon on Saturday and stays down until Monday morning per the permit, rest of the year course stays up. The lake is only 96 acres and it's long and skinny, so there's nowhere to like go and keep waves away from skiers if they're using the course except the small end cove but it's just too short to really effectively surf. They've came up to me twice, knowing who I am, and asked me to stop surfing once on my boat, and once asked me to stop riding my stand up jetski lol. Both times they were like "oh I didn't realize it was you"...really, the only orange boat on the lake and the only green and white stand up jetski? The surfing one okay, I'll be cordial and take turns sometimes. The jetski was kind of ridiculous. I said "does it really make that many waves?" And they said "yeah, It really does". I told them I'd go ride in the cove, and they said it wouldn't be good enough for them to ski still. That's when I kind of stopped caring.

The issue is that there's about 3 real hard core guys out every morning and every night. I surf or board after work a couple times a week. They'll come out and sit there by the course until I stop. I pretty much try to ignore them anymore and I go until it's almost dark and they get like one run in. Sometimes I stop early so I don't feel like the jerk.

Sent from my fourth replacement Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 4...

Convert them to surfing....
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Or run parallel to the course so the waves will go through quicker.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Convert them to surfing....
    Tried. Got one to drive for me before.

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    Or run parallel to the course so the waves will go through quicker.
    You can only run parallel to the course, lake is relatively skinny. If I'm on the lake surfing, nobody is getting smooth water anywhere. Same goes for if other boats are out tubing or something.

Last night some skiers came out relatively late, just before dark, but they weren't the real hard core guys. I didn't bother to stop, and they did ski and just tried to avoid my waves as much as possible. One of the hard core guys came out and got in his boat and drove to another one of the hard core guy's house, and as he was sitting there it almost looked like my surf wave was going to lift his ski boat up onto his buddy's dock...he ended up just going home.