Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outback Gone?

Default Outback Gone?

So I take it that in 2014, the direct drive Outback is history? Moomba's only ski boat and now its gone. That's sad.

Garn
    Garn
    2007 Mobius LS (Direct Drive)

Agree that it's sad but don't blame them one bit. Slalom skiing is dying for now. But, I expect it will come back again some day.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I bet they still have the molds and would build one if you really wanted it, but cost would be a factor..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

That is pretty sad. The cost of slalom just took a big jump. This may contribute to the decline of the sport even more. But in 10 years when all the wakeboarders are in knee braces - it may come back.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Default Re: Outback Gone?

You mean surfing, not braces..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

just means that those with dd boats just saw their nada values jump

I see more skiers here in WI than I ever did in ID, but it's all recreational. most I see really don't need a "true" dd ski boat .

That's kind of a catch 22. For me it is all about wake and tracking. Most inboards will track well enough that open water skiing will not notice variance in path. But with a large or extremely hard wake or a deep trough, the typical open water skier is going to get to a point where they probably won't get better becasue they are getting launched by the wake.
    That being said - I skied behind runabouts with big outboards and a good ski pylon for decades. So maybe the recreational slalom skie will back to that configuration? Or just buy a used DD for about the same price as a new runabout with a 150 on it?
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

The waterski teams here are using big outboards and pylons. buddy was a shoulder-toucher for years and had a 19ft with a 150 on it. his boat burned up in a house fire a few years ago. he bought a 94 boomerang with the part of the insurance that paid for the boat and said it's 100% better so there is something to be said for the dd's but I suspect to your point outboards is where it'll end up just based on market availability. most rec. skiers are not going to pony up $60k for a new mc or cc when there's probably others in the family that will demand some sort of wake to ride.

still bet skiers keeps the mold and would do a boat on an as-ordered basis?

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    still bet skiers keeps the mold and would do a boat on an as-ordered basis?
    Was told "yes", by the factory during a 2011 tour. To be more specific, my question was about a Supra Comp. My guess is same for Outback.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

There are so many used DD's on the market that people won't have a problem buying a nice used one. And with the prices for DD's falling, you could easily get a purpose built DD for not much. The market just isn't there for closed bow DD's since everyone wants variety. I am trying to have my DD be a jack of all trades, but it's hard when it requires so much weight (and takes up so much space with the bags) to surf. There really is no "one size fits all" boat, that's for sure.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com