Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Rocks are bad mmmkay

Saturday September 28, 2013 was a beautfiul day in Indiana. Got up to around 80 F water was cool but felt good. We had made plans with friends and my parents to go out and do some surfing and wakeskating. We had a nice wave going enjoying the day. My buddy was killing it after not surfing for 3 years due to knee surgeries and issues. I was in the middle of the lake abot 12ft of water, approx. 400ft from the shore turning around to head back into a cove when..... BAM!!!!!!!!! boat starts shaking and we almost come to a complete stop. I immediately cut the throttle and look at my depth finder. It says 12 ft still.... I start looking for a log or a body or something. My buddy jumped off the board as soon as he heard the boat hit, swims to about where it happened and stands up and yells " Hey I think I found the problem." There was a huge rock in the middle of the lake that we found with the boat. Damage could have been a lot worse but I am still pissed. Luckily I have insurance and it is the end of the season. I wasn't a big fan of this lake before and now I will never go back.

Here are some pictures of the damage.

Clearly the prop is done, driveshaft is bent. rudder is bent and pushed up into the engine compartment, hull has some nicks. Could have been a lot worse. It would idle so we made it back to the dock on our own power nad back onto the trailer. Now to the Moomba dealer to be fixed and winterized.
    2008 Mobius XLV - SOLD

That was a hard smack. You can't be the first. That one needs to be marked before someone gets killed.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

That sucks man. Well at least it the end of the year.
    2000 Möbius V
    Indmar assault 5.7mpi
    Perfect pass stargazer wake
    Oj 445 will be replaced soon
    1100#on each side of the eng ,800 in ski locker
    almost enough

Default Re: Rocks are bad mmmkay

You sure you just didn't copy and paste pics from Cab's Shasta experience?
    Sorry to hear, could have been worse. Glad its the end of the season.

PWI as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    That was a hard smack. You can't be the first. That one needs to be marked before someone gets killed.

Agreed. I told the guy who collects your money at the ramp. Hopefully they do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 86century View Post
    That sucks man. Well at least it the end of the year.
    Exactly. It could always be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by newty View Post
    You sure you just didn't copy and paste pics from Cab's Shasta experience?
    Sorry to hear, could have been worse. Glad its the end of the season.
    Nope those are my pics. haha. It could have been much worse.
    2008 Mobius XLV - SOLD

You need to be proactive in getting that shoal marked. If not, I've seen milk cartons anchored in spots before and that helps.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Dang that sucks. Had almost the same thing happen to me about 3 or 4 years ago with my Supra, your damage sounds about excatly the same. I was able to hobble back to the launch but couldn't barely even turn the steering wheel, and my driveshaft was bent. Still never figured out what it was, but assumed floating log or something (was in a river). Oh well, same thing for me, it was the end of September and insurance covered it so no real harm to me other than $500 deductible, but needed a new prop anyway!

I can't believe it's that shallow and nobody has ever marked it.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    You need to be proactive in getting that shoal marked. If not, I've seen milk cartons anchored in spots before and that helps.
    That's a good idea. I might go out there today after work.

Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    Dang that sucks. Had almost the same thing happen to me about 3 or 4 years ago with my Supra, your damage sounds about excatly the same. I was able to hobble back to the launch but couldn't barely even turn the steering wheel, and my driveshaft was bent. Still never figured out what it was, but assumed floating log or something (was in a river). Oh well, same thing for me, it was the end of September and insurance covered it so no real harm to me other than $500 deductible, but needed a new prop anyway!

I can't believe it's that shallow and nobody has ever marked it.
    Yeah it sucks. How long did it take them to repair it?

I can't believe it either. Last year during our drought last year the lake was down like 4ft if not more. I don't know why it wasn't marked last year or before.
    2008 Mobius XLV - SOLD

sucks but glad the damage is repairable and no one was hurt.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by irish-racing View Post
    Yeah it sucks. How long did it take them to repair it?
    I honestly don't remember. I'm pretty sure I picked it up before the snow fell, as I stored it in my garage at the time. So I'd say definitely less than 2 months, probably around 5 weeks? I told them no rush though, not like I was going to use it again that year.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV