Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winterizing and gasoline question

Unfortunately, I didn't got as much we would have liked the last month and half. Which means I have half tank of fuel in the tank. I add startron fuel stabilizer each I time added fuel. Saddest time year, will I have any issues with the fuel next year. The shop told me they wil stabill to the fuel when they winterize it next week. Anyone see problems with this? Thank you
    2007 Moomba Outback V

No, but I would ask them if what they add also addresses Ethanol.

I have always filled the tank (as well as adding stabilizer) at winterization time and never had any problems before. Most of the "experts" suggest filling the tank so I have always done that as a rule.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

I always fill the tank. Since you add stabilizer every time you gas up you do not need to run the engine after you add stabilizer then top off the tank. If you are putting in gas that has ethanol you need to make sure you top off your tank since ethanol absorbs water from the air. The more room left in the tank means the more water that can be absorbed into the tank causing issues the next year.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Its actually the other way around with Ethanol blended fuel. A gallon of ethanol blended fuel can absorb X amount moisture. The more gallons in the tank, the more water that can be absorbed. The old ways of thinking have changed with the increased distribution of ethanol blended fuels.

Still need to add ethanol treatment.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

I like to run mind down as far as I can. Then I siphon gas out all off season for the dirtbikes. Fill with fresh in Feb when we start up again. Works great.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I've been boating for almost 40 years now.I used to put my boats away with a full tank.About 5 years ago I switched plans.Now I siphon as much gas out as I can get when I put them away.In the spring I fill with fresh gas.No issues yet.
    jy

Fill it with non ethanol gas, add stabilizer , no problems in the past 6 years.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Can't remember if it was a separate article or a post on this forum, but years ago there was well qualified information suggesting it's the interaction with air that causes fuel to become unstable. Therefore I fill the tank right to the top of the filler neck each fall and it's ready to go in the spring. Stabilizer is added during winterization process by the dealer, but that article indicated that in the absence of air space, stabilizer has no benefit so is not even required.
    If so, stabilizer producers are giggling all the way to the bank.
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate