Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    What difference does the color make? Is it against the law or just personal preference?
    My understanding is that you can't legally have the other colors. You have probably noticed that all the semi trucks with tons of lights have amber lights on the sides and such as "clearance" lights, and of course Red towards the rear.

I don't have the law references handy, but that's why I did mind with a switch, because I don't want cops getting annoyed with me.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Or just forgo the switch all together and have them on all the time that the running lights are on......it would look like those 18-wheelers that you see going down the highway that are lit up like a Xmas tree!!

Illegal is Washington State and they do bust.

WAC 204-21-230

Blue lights are prohibited on any vehicle other than a law enforcement vehicle as defined in WAC 204-21-010.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    Illegal is Washington State and they do bust.

WAC 204-21-230

Blue lights are prohibited on any vehicle other than a law enforcement vehicle as defined in WAC 204-21-010.
    There you go. That's where I live.

I hope they don't have a similar law for boats on the water.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

All I can find for IL is that the lights cannot be "oscillating, rotating or flashing"
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

All I can find for IL is that the lights cannot be "oscillating, rotating or flashing"
    So much for my plans for an on the water disco show! Hahaha

WA is vague.
    RCW 79A.60.120
    Tampering with vessel lights or signals — Exhibiting false lights or signals — Penalty.

An operator or owner who endangers a vessel, or the persons on board the vessel, by showing, masking, extinguishing, altering, or removing any light or signal or by exhibiting any false light or signal, is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable as provided in RCW 9.92.030.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Same here with CG requirements. Flashing blue is for law enforcement but no mention of steady blue. Green, red and white LEDs would have an issue since they are the navigation light colors and would easily make for a dangerous situation on the water.

33 CFR 88.11 - Law enforcement vessels.

Law enforcement vessels may display a flashing blue light when engaged in direct law enforcement or public safety activities. This light must be located so that it does not interfere with the visibility of the vessel's navigation lights.

(b) The blue light described in this section may be displayed by law enforcement vessels of the United States and the States and their political subdivisions.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

white is a 360* light and should never be a problem. If white is seen, its assumed that the boat is at anchor or you are at its stern.

I've run lit up like a blue UFO pretty much every time we're on the water at night and never had an issue - sadly that's only maybe 6-7 times a season. But I don't have anything lit up on the tower.

The blue glow doesn't attract the po po around here much but apparently works well with drug smuggling divers.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I've run lit up like a blue UFO pretty much every time we're on the water at night and never had an issue - sadly that's only maybe 6-7 times a season. But I don't have anything lit up on the tower.

The blue glow doesn't attract the po po around here much but apparently works well with drug smuggling divers.
    Let's see, my boat is black and white. And has Blue LED's around the outside of the tower speakers... I am sure the divers wouldn't like me!
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post

Yeah, I don't think I would have any issues on the water, I was more referring to the glow on the trailer heading down the highway possibly being a problem.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...