Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default LED Trailer Runway lights on a digital bilge switch.

And now for my latest mod.... Runway lights!!!!!!!!

I got this idea from a cool writeup on Wakeworld.

Here's what you need:
    1. 5 meters of black 5050 SMD waterproof strip lights, Mine light up BLUE
    2. Atwood Digital Bilge Switch (Amazon.com had the best price)
    3. A bunch of black zip ties

So, 5 meters was enough to go from the rear of the trailer most of the way towards the front. Close enough that I didn't feel compelled to waste more money on lights. I paid $26 shipped off ebay from a seller called nj-store.

This switch will power the lights on for 8 seconds when you first turn on the running lights. Just a power up test it always does. Once the sensors are wet for 8 seconds, then the lights will illuminate. The switch will keep the lights powered up for 1 minute after the sensors are out of the water. There are no moving parts on this switch so it won't trigger the lights going down the road on bumps.
    http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Digita.../dp/B001O0D6LU

Okay, so I just ran the strip lights down the top of my frame rails of my trailer. I tapped into my running light circuit of my trailer lights, ran a wire across to the other side to power those strip lights, and secured the strip lights about every 3 to 4 feet with zip ties around the frame rails. Yes, they have adhesive, but it's weak and I don't trust it so I zip tied the strip lights in place.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Pic from the front. You can see it goes quite a ways towards the bow.

I chose to run the strip lights down the back of the frame rail and 1 light worth underneath. That way I could wrap the top and bottom with a looped zip tie.
    My trailer had flat metal that butted right up against the frame rail, so I just drilled a small hole in the sheet metal for the zip tie. Why not?

Slightly blurry pic from the rear. It goes on the inside of the carpet that pads the fenders. Just on the top, inside of the main frame rails. This is going to be awesome when I'm pulling the boat onto the trailer at night. Plus it will look wicked cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bling, bling!!

I did this because once we hit Labor Day, the sun is setting at 7pm. So if we go out after work at the end of summer and play for a couple hours, then by the time we've drained our ballast we're crusing back to the dock as it's changing from dusk to dark. Then by the time the trailer's being backed into the water, it's now dark.

Yeah, I can see my LED taillights in the water, but having a brighter and cooler landmark to aid in putting the boat on the trailer when it's dark is gonna be way cool.

Plus, I'm only $45 into this project including tax and shipping. $45 is a pretty cheap mod when it comes to our boats. I just ordered a waterproof stainless LED lighted swtich so I can override the switch and have it glow regardless of if it's in the water or not. I went the "get it from China" ebay route and got a switch for $3.50 that will show up in probably 3 weeks...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Show off! JK - I'll have to see this in person.

I'm curious how that bilge switch would react if you're driving in the rain...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post

Yeah, that could be interesting I guess. I suppose if it really gets to be an issue, that I could use a 3-way swtich instead of the two way switch that I'm adding... On/WaterLevel/Off. But I rarely trailer in the rain. So I don't see it as a problem anytime soon. The switch is just zip tied to the rear of the trailer, so I can move it within the radius of the wire length easily. It has two sensors that need to both have water on them for 8 seconds before the switch will activate. Hoping it is effective.

The description says:

You can rest ensured that your pump won't be exposed to continuous cycling as the S3 switch won't be fooled by splashing bilge water
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Or just hide the switch somewhere on the trailer that wouldn't get wet when its raining.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    Or just hide the switch somewhere on the trailer that wouldn't get wet when its raining.
    I think he was concerned about road spray. But I think it'll be effective with the design...
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Or just forgo the switch all together and have them on all the time that the running lights are on......it would look like those 18-wheelers that you see going down the highway that are lit up like a Xmas tree!!
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post

The one im familiar with, has 2 contacts and needs to sense the water across both for about 5 seconds before the contacts close. Boatmate offers it an option on their trailers and it doesnt seem to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    Or just forgo the switch all together and have them on all the time that the running lights are on......it would look like those 18-wheelers that you see going down the highway that are lit up like a Xmas tree!!
    Well, if I would have chose to have Amber LED's I could have done it!

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    The one im familiar with, has 2 contacts and needs to sense the water across both for about 5 seconds before the contacts close. Boatmate offers it an option on their trailers and it doesnt seem to be an issue.
    Yep, that's the switch that I have. Good price from Amazon too.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Well, if I would have chose to have Amber LED's I could have done it!
    What difference does the color make? Is it against the law or just personal preference?
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate