Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Fake a lake

Default DIY Fake a lake

Hey Everyone,

Was searching for an easy way to winterize my boat without heading to the lake and came across one made from a plunger and hose adapter. So, after looking on Bakes at the real ones, I decided to spend the 6 bucks on a plunger and try to fabricate. It was super easy, and the adapter sits nicely in the rubber. Tested it and with a small board under the handle, makes a great seal. My question is, do I run the hose from the house full, or slightly below. I watched a You tube video, and it seems pretty easy to do. Do these steps look right:

Seal it under the boat,
    Turn on the hose,
    water will leak out of the seal until you start the boat
    Start and watch for water coming out.
    Run it on idle to warm up the oil and then shut down to change
    once the engine is filled with new oil and filter, run engine again to circulate.
    Shut down and done!

Does that sound right. Not overly confident when doing it myself for the first time, so any insight to easy my mind of overheating my boat or ruining something would be great.

Richard
    2016 Craz
    2007 LSV - Sold
    2003 Outback - Sold

Default DIY Fake a lake

I made the one out of a bucket last year (think I saw it here), and it was great. It is amazing how much water the boat drinks. You have to be careful with the traditional fake-a-lake since the boat will take in a lot more water than your garden hose can put out.
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

Ok! After reading some more posts, I think I am going to abort the plunger style fake a lake and hook one right up to the raw water intake. That way there will be a direct line to the intake, no water will be lost due to a bad seal, and it is much easier to monitor while in the boat. I am going to put a valve in it, so that I can turn the water on at the house, then open it up in the boat. This way I don't have to worry about it falling off or not getting enough water.

Richard
    2016 Craz
    2007 LSV - Sold
    2003 Outback - Sold

Default Re: DIY Fake a lake

Easier..

http://www.perko.com/catalog/categor...re/product/62/

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Pretty much what I did.
    I already had a bucket, screws, zip ties and wood in the garage. I just picked up a small section of house, an on/off valve, and between 4-6' of 1 1/4" vinyl tubing. I just hook the tubing up to the intake on the v-drive.

When you hit the throttle, 5 gallons goes real fast. I'll also say that when you turn the boat off, don't forget to turn the water off.

Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

So if you hook directly up to the raw water pump with a garden hose is there a worry the flow from the garden hose can't keep up with the engine? Is that why people use a bucket? I was just going to make a connection to the water hose and the other end to the lower hose of the raw water pump.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    So if you hook directly up to the raw water pump with a garden hose is there a worry the flow from the garden hose can't keep up with the engine? Is that why people use a bucket? I was just going to make a connection to the water hose and the other end to the lower hose of the raw water pump.
    Hook it straight up. Just don't rev the crap out of it, you'll be fine. I winterize 10-15 boats a year this way (including mine). The hardest part sometimes is getting the old hose off the v-drive. Do it every year and its a lot easier.

PWI as usual...

Newty, so do you hook the hose up to the v-drive or the raw water pump?
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by newty View Post
    Hook it straight up. Just don't rev the crap out of it, you'll be fine. I winterize 10-15 boats a year this way (including mine). The hardest part sometimes is getting the old hose off the v-drive. Do it every year and its a lot easier.
    Come on now - have you ever winterized YOUR boat....?

996 - you take the line off the water brass water intake and hook your hose directly to that so it is going straight into the v-drive. Usually requires a hose barb and adapter setup for it work but easy to build one.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Come on now - have you ever winterized YOUR boat....?
    Once, when I had to take it to the dealer because I didn't trust them.
    Lol

PWI as usual...