Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    You're riding too slow, especially with that kind of weight in the boat. Kick it up to 23-24 at least; 23 is a good speed to learn inverts. I ride 25 at 65ft, behind an LSV though. Behind my Supra I rode 25-26 at 70ft, but the wake wasn't quite as wide. The wake will break further back and you'll have a cleaner wake. There is absolutely no reason you need to go to 70ft unless you start landing 5ft in the flats consistently, and I can't imagine the wake is good that far back at the speed you're going.
    That speed just sounds like you don't care about your knees or neck or any other body part really. I won't ride over 22. My LSV we run the 650 IBS up front with the stock gravity three with the wake plate at half at 22 mph and 70 ft. I would definitely NOT speed up to learn an invert. If anything, ditch the weight and slow down

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    That speed just sounds like you don't care about your knees or neck or any other body part really. I won't ride over 22. My LSV we run the 650 IBS up front with the stock gravity three with the wake plate at half at 22 mph and 70 ft. I would definitely NOT speed up to learn an invert. If anything, ditch the weight and slow down

Sent from my iPhone
    I've been wakeboarding for 16 years, more seriously for about the last 8 since I bought my old Supra (I'm 28 ). I've been to pro clinics, competed in local competitions, and ride with some people that are significantly better than me. During all of those, I haven't known anybody that is an advanced rider and rides under 23, most ride closer to 25 like I do. To each his own, but that's my experience and that would be my advice in his situation.

If you're going to run that slow, I agree there is too much weight in the boat. You don't need a monster wake to do inverts. I learned backrolls before I had a wake boat behind my 17ft Glastron I/O with no tower. I run my stock 400 up front and about 500 in each locker, wake plate at 3/4 up (1/4 up from flat, if that's how you refer to it). I like a steep wake that gives me good pop.

Since you have conflicting advice, I'd try each suggestion and see what works best for you.
    Last edited by Wax; 09-19-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

In just looking out for the poor guys knees!

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

And actually lately I've really liked 24.5 for some reason behind my LSV instead of 25, not sure exactly why. I lightened up the weight in the rear lockers though by about 150lbs each. Was at 650, now at 500 as I mentioned. I've been playing with the weight and speed trying to get it just right.

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    In just looking out for the poor guys knees!

Sent from my iPhone
    LOL yeah I'm still relatively young and I bounce back easily. Plus if you want to compare me to a pro wakeboarder, I'm built more like Rusty than anybody else lol, so my body is normally relatively resiliant to injury.

I had one season about 5 or 6 years ago where I was consistently twisting my ankle while learning my tantrum. As I've gotten "older", I've chilled it out on tricks that get me hurt lol. But in general at the speeds I ride I really haven't had any injuries in years, but I am also not really trying to progress much from where I'm at. I thought I wanted to be a great wakeboarder, then I realized I didn't want to get hurt as much and I'm content being a somewhat good wakeboarder. I've never really been hurt more due to speed, really just on awkward landings.

Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    LOL yeah I'm still relatively young and I bounce back easily. Plus if you want to compare me to a pro wakeboarder, I'm built more like Rusty than anybody else lol, so my body is normally relatively resiliant to injury.

I had one season about 5 or 6 years ago where I was consistently twisting my ankle while learning my tantrum. As I've gotten "older", I've chilled it out on tricks that get me hurt lol. But in general at the speeds I ride I really haven't had any injuries in years, but I am also not really trying to progress much from where I'm at. I thought I wanted to be a great wakeboarder, then I realized I didn't want to get hurt as much and I'm content being a somewhat good wakeboarder. I've never really been hurt more due to speed, really just on awkward landings.
    Yeah but speed can really intensify an awkward landing lol

Sent from my iPhone
    David

25 seems VERY fast to me. Pro's like Rusty who ride with 5-6k of ballast ride at those speeds. I prefer to ride around 22MPH. I was at a pro clinic with Kyle Ratray and he mentioned that since switching to a G23 he had slowed down his speed because there was no need to go 25 to keep the wake clean. There are pro's who ride around the 23 mark too.

To each his own, but I also prefer to ride a little slower, and when we are learning new tricks we slow it down to 21 or so.
    Levi
    Former owner of a 08 Mobuis XLV, Cat340, 2650 Lbs.
    I miss that boat!

I agree that 25+ mph sounds like its flying.

Wax, have you put a GPS to that speed? It sounds like you also run rear heavy, maybe forcing you to ride that fast? I'd bet you could slow the speed down if you added some weight to the bow.

I know each boat is different but our boat is typically setup at 23 - 24 mph with 2300 - 2700 lbs. Riding between 75 and 80 ft. Typically, the more weight and line length, the more speed needed.

Here are 2 examples of 80 ft and 24'ish mph.

Last edited by KG's Supra24; 09-19-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

...I've become so lazy that I barely ever do anything toeside anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    I agree that 25+ mph sounds like its flying.

Wax, have you put a GPS to that speed? It sounds like you also run rear heavy, maybe forcing you to ride that fast? I'd bet you could slow the speed down if you added some weight to the bow.

I know each boat is different but our boat is typically setup at 23 - 24 mph with 2700 lbs. Riding between 75 and 80 ft. Typically, the more weight and line length, the more speed needed.

Here are 2 examples of 80 ft and 24'ish mph.

Not with the LSV, but with my Supra we used a GPS instead of the speedometer.

During clinics, I've normally ridden 23-24 behind the "pro" boats weighed down. Same with comps. I personally just like riding faster, and apparently so does everybode else I know. I'm shocked that this many people are riding that slow honestly. I'll try it and see what it's like, but I haven't ridden under 23 or 24 as long as I can remember. Again, same with the more advanced guys I ride with. The best guy I've ridden with rides about 24, and he might as well be pro in my book. The other guy that might as well be pro rides 25, but he's squirly and goes ridiculously huge.

With the LSV I've just been playing with speed and weight until the wake is just right. Right now, thats at 24.5 with about 450-500 in back lockers each and 400 ski locker. I'd love to try a LSV with IBS to see the difference, I've been considering one.

After hearing all you guys going so slow, I'm definitely going to try it out and see what it's like. When thinking physics, faster is good for soft landings in my opinion. However, that is more contingent on your speed into the wake than the boat's actual speed.