Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Need help with engine stalling/quitting...seems really strange

so last friday night we are at the lake and everything runs perfect. Saturday afternoon we get some gas in the boat and head back up for the afternoon. Starts fine, idles , wide open throttle all just perfect for 10 min or so. Put the boat in gear after being stopped for a few minutes and it dies. Starts right back up and we start surfing. A minute or two into the surf at 9-10 mph the engine just dies again. For the next hour the engine keeps randomly killing, sometimes while surfing, sometimes while in idle and sometimes while just sitting there in neutral. I look at everything in the engine to see if there is a loose wire or something but can't find anything. I checked the oil level and it is good. The oil pressure gauge reads 40 at idle and 60 while going. We head back in to the dock at full speed and idle around waiting for the trailer and it runs ok..

I spend the last couple of days trying to read up on possible things to check and I come up with things like bad gas, dirty fuel filter, bad fuel pump, oil pressure valve,etc.

Decide to run up to the lake tonight to run it around hoping it was a fluke but get the exact same symptoms and then some strange things happened. Going back to the dock I have it at about 30 mph and I realize that every time i turn left the fuel gauge drops to empty and the engine dies (doesn't really die but the rpm just drop back down to 800. I can turn right without loosing and power, it only happens turning left. When the rpms dropped I would also see the Moomba Cruise light flicker on for a second and then go back out. I would also see the rpm gauge bounce a round a little up and down when I hit some wakes at high speed.

Sorry that is a lot of info that probably doesn't make a lot of sense but any thoughts would be great. It is a 2007 Indmar 325 hp engine with 165 hrs on it. I figure i should probably drain the gas in case it is bad, change the fuel filter, possibly the fuel pump. I am not really that mechanically inclined but can do a few things. Anything big I would have to have the dealer do. Thanks guys.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Default Re: Need help with engine stalling/quitting...seems really strange

Loose power as soon as you turn or is there a delay? Fuel injected or carb? There is gas in right?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by parrothd; 09-18-2013 at 12:43 AM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

If your turning the wheel and then gages go down you'll need to investigate under the dash for loose wires mainly the power wire coming from the ignition in the on position that powers up the gages and ignition module .
    2012 Mobius LSV
    05 Outback LS SOLD

Check the engine compartment and transmission compartment (and pull up the back section of flooring over the fuel tank if needed) to see if there is any interaction between the steering cable/linkage and the fuel hose or any other system. Some part might be under pressure.

When my boat was a year or so old, it started having intermittent trouble shifting into reverse. It turned out that the shift linkage was too close to the firewall. There was interference if someone heavy enough leaned against the back seat! It was a design weakness, replaced with an improvement by the factory.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

[QUOTE=parrothd;228730]Loose power as soon as you turn or is there a delay? Fuel injected or carb? There is gas in right?

It is carborated, the gas gauge was showing 1/4 tank when this was happening, and the loss of power is pretty immediately when turning to the left. With it stalling when turning it makes me think it isn't bad gas or the filter otherwise it would happen turning to the right as well. Maybe there is some kind of interference with the steering cable and the gas line or something like that.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

2007 should be fuel injected, right? I think 2003 was the last year for carbs?

Don't think that helps fix the problem but might be good to note for the future.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    2007 should be fuel injected, right? I think 2003 was the last year for carbs?

Don't think that helps fix the problem but might be good to note for the future.
    you are probably right. I have only had the boat 2 weeks and am still trying to get familiar with it.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Default Re: Need help with engine stalling/quitting...seems really strange

I'd call skidim, get a fuel filter and new fuel pump, doubtful it's bad gas, refill the tank with fresh gas.. You should be able to replace those parts pretty easily for around $200?... I'd also check the battery connections, if the pump is failing it can cause the intermittent stalling symptoms and explain the lights and rpm, as they fail they can draw more power..

I'm not sure what side the fuel pickup is on, it's maybe the right side which would make it easier to pump fuel....Either way you said that it was stalling at idle, if you take it to the dealer they're going to replace the filter and pump first so you might as well do it yourself and save some money...The worst that can happen is you can't figure out the fuel pump and you have them install it...

Last edited by parrothd; 09-18-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    I'd call skidim, get a fuel filter and new fuel pump, doubtful it's bad gas, refill the tank with fresh gas.. You should be able to replace those parts pretty easily for around $200?... I'd also check the battery connections, if the pump is failing it can cause the intermittent stalling symptoms and explain the lights and rpm, as they fail they can draw more power..

I'm not sure what side the fuel pickup is on, it's maybe the right side which would make it easier to pump fuel....Either way you said that it was stalling at idle, if you take it to the dealer they're going to replace the filter and pump first so you might as well do it yourself and save some money...The worst that can happen is you can't figure out the fuel pump and you have them install it...

that is probably what I will do, new fuel, fuel filter, and fuel pump, and check all battery connections. So How hard is it to replace the fuel pump? I have never done one. Can anyone give me some basic instruction? Also, what is the best way to drain the remaining gas if I want to try that? Thanks again guys. I love this forum!
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Have you given Razz a call?