Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 06 LSV Taking on Water!!!!!

New to forum and a new 06 Mobius lsv owner (1st time boat owner at that!!!). Had boat since Labor Day weekend. Today was the first time it's been in the water a significant period of time (6+ hrs). Near the end of our day, the bilge was running nonstop. Buddy with me is an experience boater and said that was odd. Popped open center ski locker/ballast compartment and it was full of water! Additionally, carpet in bow was soaked and carpet throughout most of boat under all seats. I was freaked with how much water we were taking on. Immediately took boat back to the launch and called it a day. Trailered boat and inspected hull...spotless. No damage, holes, cracks, etc.. Drain plug tightly in place but bilge ran for 15 minutes straight with a steady stream of water being pumped out. Water was warm, which (after reading other posts) leads me to believe I might have an exhaust shaft hose loose, cracked, or completely off. Anyone out there run into this problem and am I on point with my assumption that I have an exhaust shaft hose issue? I'm no mechanic so any insight would be appreciated.

If you can hook up a fake-a-lake or line to your water intake I'd suggest running it in the driveway and closely inspect all engine water hoses. Get in there with a flash light or pen light. If you find nothing, then next place to look would be the packing for the driveshaft but you can only do that while you're on the water.

By running it out of the water though you'll be able to narrow down whether it's the engine or not first.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Default Re: 06 LSV Taking on Water!!!!!

Do you have ballast? Check all the bags and fittings.. Sometimes they leak..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

If you still find nothing after checking all the above put the boat in the water, pop the engine hatch/v-drive hatch and check for leaks. My friend's boat had a small hole from an over drilled screw pilot hole on the intake scupper bracket coming up from the bottom of the boat. Unscrew the screws fill the holes with life caulk life seal and reinstall the screws. That fixed the problem. It was amazing how much water came in his boat from such a small hole over the course of a few hours....
    Last edited by MJR63; 09-15-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    2002 Moomba Outback LSV

So the only way to check the driveshaft packing is to be back on the water? I'm so mechanically handicapped that if I were to put the boat in the water, I wouldn't know where to start looking. Of course if you see water coming in, it's a no brainer. Where should I pay particular attention to in the engine compartment? My plan was to take it into the mechanic and have them fix the problem and just call it a season and have it winterized. Sounds like that won't happen and I'll have to take it out again.

Default 06 LSV Taking on Water!!!!!

So you can leave the boat on the trailer. Just back it into the water and start the boat up. The packing nuts are right where the drive shaft comes into the boat. You will see two nuts. Put the boat in gear and look down at the packing nuts and see how much water is coming in. I hope that makes sense.
    Kurt
    2019 Supra SL 550
    2016 Mojo - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV -Sold

No brainer there. Someone wasn't taking care of the shaft packing and it happens as the packing cord wears and not maintained. Put the boat in the water and check the gland nut but the leak will be much larger when the boat is in motion. If it is the packing, you then need to have the tools to tighten it and hopefully that will correct it. If not, you need to repack it with new cord. Get yourself some non-wax type cord so you don't have to worry about it for another decade.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Default Re: 06 LSV Taking on Water!!!!!

Just put the boat back in the water and look for wet stuff.. Take a pic and post it..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

take it to a shop or do some internet research.

Quote Originally Posted by cornrickey View Post
    take it to a shop or do some internet research.
    Internet research?? I thought that's what the moomba forum was for!! Lol

Spokanite6,

But seriously, there is a lot of guys on here that should be able to help you. Good luck and hope you can figure it out easy and cheap.
    Todd

2013 Mobius LSV
    2008 Stingray 205LR sold