Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Ribbon LED Lights

I am looking at putting the ribbon LED lights under the seats to illuminate the storage area, ballast area (both), and other. Has anyone put their own in and if so where did you purchase them from?? What should I look for (300 led per 5 meters is what I am seeing but I am also concerned with light quality)? Any help or guidance would be appreciated!!

1) the ribbon type are not very robust for a high traffic area where they can get bumped or disturbed. They will not last long.
    2) Do not rely on the thin film of adhesive on the back. It will not last long.

I would suggest a rigid strip or pod that can be hard-mounted if either of the above apply.

I put pods and some singles in most of mine - copying a fair amount of Dusty and KG's projects.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

http://www.oznium.com/

The little 4 chip superflux ones from oznium that a lot guys put in their cupholders are also easy to hide in compartments.

So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Wow that looks great! Thanks bergermaister and MLA! Glad I asked - could have wasted time and cash....

I put led strips in my boat up under the overhang by the speakers and I put super glue on the back of the light strip so it would hold up better, I got them at k mart for $15 for two of them, I have only had them in the boat for about a month now but they still work great and light up the boat really nice! You can see them in my profile pic or avatar, whatever you call it, but I will be adding more this winter on the tower to shine down into the boat. Not sure if thats what you are looking for though, but I think if you tuck them under where they wont get beat up on, they should hold up.
    2008 Mobius LSV

Here is a blown up picture of my strips in the lev
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 Mobius LSV

Thanks Henri!

Yes - the strips are great and I've also found that super glue is a must to keep them from falling down - especially if you have to go around any curves or bends. I've actually had pretty good luck with getting them on the cheap off eBay.

You should check out some of Ian Ashton's LED work from his last boat!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Does anyone have any pictures of how you installed the LEDs in the cup holder??

Quote Originally Posted by kriley View Post
    Does anyone have any pictures of how you installed the LEDs in the cup holder??
    In or around the under side of the lip?