Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: motor swap

Default motor swap

In my 98 outback I have a PCM 350efi and I wiped a rod bearing this past weekend it just so happens that I have a brand new 383 Chevy crate motor in the garage and I was thinking about putting it in the boat. I know I have to reverse the rotation but I was just wondering if anyone on here had ever done anything like this, if its a good idea anything special I need to look for. I was thinking about it just because of the more torque I could get out of the boat especially when loaded down it should be able to come out of the hole much better. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
    98 Outback
    PCM LT1

Well, it's still a small block so I wouldn't expect it to be all that hard to make the switch. You would need a new prop. I'm not sure about the shaft. I imagine you also have to replace it with the rotation and prop change though. Starting to get expensive.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I've been told the internals are very different - especially in the valve train: springs, camshaft, lifters. Could include the bearings and rings too since the marine environment can be a bit more harsh than the road.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't floor my truck 30 times a day or run at 4,000rpm for any great length of time. Well, at least not since I was 17.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

What I was thing was keeping the top end the same heads can intake, just swapping the bottom end so i wouldn't be changing everything and new prop would be ordered
    98 Outback
    PCM LT1

Default motor swap

On bottom ends I'm pretty sure it's just brass freeze plugs. I would also want my oil pick up braised on.
    -Jake

Have you checked the rotation. If your eng is reverse rotation the bearings and cam will need to be changed.
    Gm made a change in the crankshaft in the late 80's from a two piece to a single piece rear main seal. The flywheel/flexplates changed aswell.

The only difference in the two is the crankshaft(350 is internal balance 400 is external) and wrist pin height on the pistons.
    With the extra displacement your injection may need to be remapped.
    Last edited by 86century; 09-13-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    2000 Möbius V
    Indmar assault 5.7mpi
    Perfect pass stargazer wake
    Oj 445 will be replaced soon
    1100#on each side of the eng ,800 in ski locker
    almost enough

I was wondering about the injection hopefully it will all work itself out because I'm thinking about doing it this coming week and brass freeze will be installed
    98 Outback
    PCM LT1

Quote Originally Posted by spratt25 View Post
    it just so happens that I have a brand new 383 Chevy crate motor in the garage
    This is a problem I wish I had more often
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Yeah it kind of fell in my lap now just hoping that everything will work out
    98 Outback
    PCM LT1

I have no dought it will run.
    You might want to keep an eye on the plugs to make sure it isn't running lean.

Witch cylinder did you lose the rod bearing on. I ask only because a weak injector could have caused that cylinder to go lean letting start detonating(spark knock)destroying the that particular rod bearing.
    2000 Möbius V
    Indmar assault 5.7mpi
    Perfect pass stargazer wake
    Oj 445 will be replaced soon
    1100#on each side of the eng ,800 in ski locker
    almost enough