Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Is the Mondo the right boat for me?

I am brand new to the forums and I am currently looking to purchase my first boat. After visiting a Mastercraft Dealership and talking about looking for a used X2, they brought the Moomba line to my attention since they also carry these in addition to the Mastercraft line. Since I was looking at the X2 they pointed me towards the Mondo and after going out for a demo, we loved the boat but I have to admit it will be my first boat so I wouldn't neccessarily know the difference.

We have 4 kids under the age of 7 and would like to get them into skiing and other water sports. I assume over the next few years we will mainly be teaching them to water ski. Both my wife and I only currently waterski and do it recreationally. We both have interest in wake surfing and I am assuming we will be doing that also. I am also assuming that our kids could potentially get into wakeboarding in the future. We are looking the "cross over" type boat so that we can ski, wakeboard and surf if we want however we will likely be mainly skiing for a while.

3 the features I like about the Mondo are...

1. Deeper hull which seems better for younger kids when they are sitting inside and I was told smoother in busier and bigger lakes.
    2. Price in comparison to a new Mastercraft which I cannot afford.
    3. Size - it will fit nicely into my garage.

After the boat demo on the lake, the thing I am most concerned about is the ski wake even with the wake plate optimized since we will likely be skiing the majority of the time. It seems rather large but since I am new to this maybe I am completely wrong. I understand that this is not a true direct drive and thus will not give the perfect ski wakes.

Am I looking at the wrong boat? I am curious to see what others think. Thanks for your help!

If your looking for a great crossover boat i think you've found it. Is it going to have the best ski wake... nope because only a direct drive will give that to you, for a boat that is garage friendly and has a deep hull i think its a perfect choice....

good luck with your search....
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

The Mondo could be a great boat for you. The first "plus" you listed, depth, and a quality ski wake are pretty much going to be considered an oxymoron. I have not seen the ski wake but to achieve the boat depth, I think you can assume the ski wake will not be optimal. The LSV might be better? It might be worth looking at if you find the ski wake worse than you are willing to accept. Again, I haven't seen either in person so I could be wrong.

Outback V would be considered the optimal "crossover" boat. From what I've heard, it's one of the few v-drives that holds a candle to a direct drive.

I could be wrong here but I have my doubts that you will be mainly skiing for a while. Where the watersports industry is right now ... best of luck trying to talk your kids out of a wakeboard and/or surfboard!!!

If you were considering a Mastercraft, you may want to consider looking at Supra also. The fit and finish on the new SA and SC are top notch ... big 3 or better top notch. The SC would be similar to the Mondo in size.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Thanks guys. I appreciate your input. What you said makes sense.

I actually have an appt scheduled in a couple weeks to go in and select my final options for the Mondo but I wanted to make sure this was the right boat for me. I will take a look at the LSV and Outback to make sure the Mondo fits.

As far as Mastercraft/Supra goes, I realized they are probably out of my price range right now but maybe I could . The Moomba line makes more sense for me.

I agree that skiing could potentially be the least used and I have no problems with our kids wanting to do something else. I will not try to talk them out of that. I will just enjoy being out there with them.
    Jesse

2014 Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Outback V would be considered the optimal "crossover" boat. From what I've heard, it's one of the few v-drives that holds a candle to a direct drive.
    +1 for the Outback V...

I will say that I have only seen a Mondo in pictures and obviously never rode in one, but I just purchased my Outback V in July and just love it. I was coming from a completely different world (SeaRay I/O) and I find the OBV ski wake to be pretty good. Not great and certainly not as good as a DD, but significantly better than my old I/O. And the wake for wakeboarding and surfing is more than my 17 yr old son can handle at this point (not sure how long that will last, but good for now) so I really think the OBV is a great crossover.

Being a father of two teenagers who started boating about the ages of your kids, I can assure that they will definitely be attracted to wakeboarding and surfing VERY quickly. You may get them started on skis which is great, but they will want to do what their friends are doing and that most likely will NOT be skiiing.

One other benefit of the OBV is that it will also save you a few bucks to start making all the mods (i.e. added ballast, stereo/speakers, etc.) that you will no doubt want to start doing once you start reading more of this forum!!

Good luck in your search and you really can't go wrong with any of the boats in the Moomba line.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

already been stated across s few replies, but to wrap it all up: Outback V or Mondo are your choices

Outback V will offer the better ski wake and lower price point. Offset is older model & low freeboard
    Mondo will offer better wakeboard & surf wake/wave, deep boat, NEW model. Offset is worse ski wake & higher price point.

Yeah, what he said
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

For some reason I thought the Mondo was going to be a little shorter than the OBV, but I just looked at specs and the Outback V is only 20' so maybe that's not a concern. LSV is probably excluded due to being too long. My old Supra Launch at 20' 8" on the trailer (no swing tongue though) was about 6" too long for my garage, had to be put in at an angle.

I also agree with some of the other posters...even though you may ski most of the time (maybe not after buying a wake boat), I'm sure your kids will be more into boarding, surfing, and tubing than anything as most kids are! Neither are really going to have an optimal ski wake, so it's probably going to come down to which boat you like better.

Your #1 point about the freeboard and handling in rough water, in my opinion that would have not much weight on my decision if any at all. My son is 2 and no matter what kind of boat he's in he still can climb up on the back and try to jump out! You also aren't buying this boat to handle rough water, and really the shape of wake boat hulls isn't condusive to rough water anyway due to the hull being relatively flat towards the rear. I think the difference would be negligible. Maybe the Mondo would be less succeptable to going nose down into a wake, but good driving skills can always prevent that anyway (but sometimes you'll be behind the boat and your unexperienced buddy might be driving lol!).

If price is of concern, definitely consider the OBV (or a used boat). If price isn't much a concern, I would personally go with the Mondo just because it's the cool new model (and therefore probably higher resale value). Or I would also be looking at new Supras, but personally I think the bang for the buck is best with a Moomba.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    ...I could be wrong here but I have my doubts that you will be mainly skiing for a while. Where the watersports industry is right now ... best of luck trying to talk your kids out of a wakeboard and/or surfboard!!!
    I agree with KG, I grew up skiing and back in '03 went to my local watersports dealership to get new bindings for my old HO Mach 1, I had to buy a new ski as mine was too old (like myself) for new bindings. My kids were young then and I knew that a lot of kids wakeboarded. Well, I ended up walking out of that store with a new ski, two new wakeboards and a new 21' Team Edition Natique.

I grew up skiing the local Nor Cal Delta and I don't think that I have used that ski since the first season. All we do is board and now surf.

I would find it hard to believe that if this is your first boat, that you wouldn't get hooked on boarding and surfing as I figure if you were a hard core skier, you would have already owned a few boats as you would probably be over fifty years old...

i.e. get the biggest damn boat you can afford and can fit in your storage and start adding kids, kid's friends, ballast, stereo equipment and enjoy the memories!
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by EricU View Post
    get the biggest damn boat you can afford and can fit in your storage and start adding kids, kid's friends, ballast, stereo equipment and enjoy the memories!
    Best advice I have ever heard.....I need to write that down
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate