Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Storage

Default Winter Storage

If you have the space go with a better shelter. This is mine but I live in Florida. I had the metal brought down the sides and the back. Will take a side picture tomorrow.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378501879.223175.jpg

Thx JM! Global Industries had just about the same round shelter I was looking at almost 1/2 the cost. Same pic was used for each site but the ACE one seemed a little better....
    2002 Moomba Outback LSV

Default Winter Storage

Quote Originally Posted by 98outback View Post
    If you have the space go with a better shelter. This is mine but I live in Florida. I had the metal brought down the sides and the back. Will take a side picture tomorrow.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378501879.223175.jpg
    Now that one could work.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Default Winter Storage

It's comparable in price to some of the large canopies. Mine is 20ft wide x 26ft deep. Legs are 9 ft tall. Price was 2800.00 installed roughly 6 years ago.

Default Winter Storage

Quote Originally Posted by 98outback View Post
    This is basically what I have going on with out the back closed in, but I only use mine for summer. I put it in a storage Facility for the winter and use the carport for my work truck in the winter. I got the reinforced version for snow loads (Colorado mountains). Mine was just over $3k installed. If I had to do it again, I would have gone with a fully enclosed version (12' wide x 30' long) with a proper garage door, separate man door and 6 windows. Online price, installed is about 10k. There are some websites that let you build it to your specs and see drawings of the finished product.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    If I had the space I'd be putting one of these up-

I have a thread on the Supra forums very similar to this one. I've been trying to scrape up enough money to justify a metal carport.

Looks like the optimal size would be:

21 feet long (because if I go any longer, the price jumps up dramatically)
    11 to 12 feet wide (same price either way, 12 feet is as wide as I could really go on the RV parking on that side of my house).
    9 to 12 feet tall sides. (9' would mean I'd have to fold the tower. I measured and my boat on the trailer is 10' tall with the tower up. 11' sides seems like a comfortable amount as the roof has extra height built in above the level of the side posts. I don't want to go TOO high and piss off the neighbors even more and have height I don't need, but I also don't want to go too low and mess myself up if I got a different boat in the future that for whatever reason sat higher...

This is a mockup of the 21L x 12W x 11H with half walls at the top and the standard roof. Thoughts? I would think that with one of these it would dramatically decrease the dew/moisture that the boat would see...

As you can see from this pic, I went to carport.com and used their online design tool. It's pretty cool and seems like the prices would be hard to beat.

The half sides seem like a legit upgrade, and that's in the above mockup. kicking out for full sides would be a lot more ($350 for a structure that had 11' walls, and $205 if I had gone with as low of roof height (10 foot) as I could justify. Would I be kicking myself for going with 1/2 sides vs. full sides? Will it make that much of a difference?
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Half sides will definitely help keep the liquid sunshine out. Now you've got me looking at them... Cost isn't as bad as I thought it would be but I've got a somewhat unique space to fill at 14' wide wall-to-wall between two houses.

Personally I think it would be worth it to go longer. My carport "tent" is 12x25 and I fill it end to end and then some with the platform off the back.

I'm pricing a 14Wx25Lx7H sides with side walls on that site at $1845. I can't go too tall because of the roof line of each house so my tower would have to stay down, but I'm already used to that.

You might want to check into your HOA rules if you have one - I had to help a buddy dismantle his not too long ago because a bitchy neighbor saw it and turned him in. His was really tall though, big enough to fit his travel trailer under.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Half sides will definitely help keep the liquid sunshine out. Now you've got me looking at them... Cost isn't as bad as I thought it would be but I've got a somewhat unique space to fill at 14' wide wall-to-wall between two houses.

Personally I think it would be worth it to go longer. My carport "tent" is 12x25 and I fill it end to end and then some with the platform off the back.

I'm pricing a 14Wx25Lx7H sides with side walls on that site at $1845. I can't go too tall because of the roof line of each house so my tower would have to stay down, but I'm already used to that.

You might want to check into your HOA rules if you have one - I had to help a buddy dismantle his not too long ago because a bitchy neighbor saw it and turned him in. His was really tall though, big enough to fit his travel trailer under.
    I don't have a HOA, thank God. So, it's really only Clark County code (looks like we both live in the same area).

http://www.clark.wa.gov/development/...arden-shed.pdf

So, technically I should have a 2’ setback. I certainly don’t want that. I want to use every damn bit of property up to my fenceline because that's how my RV parking is setup. I have roughly 11 to 12 feet of usable width behind my double fence...

I guess it’d only be a problem if my neighbor got butt hurt by it. And he just built a shed, so he knows the rules. However, he also ran power out to it which is against the rules, so maybe he’s down to bend the rules too…

So far he’s been pretty cool and lax about stuff. I mean, it’s not like his enclosed moto trailer isn’t an eyesore that he parks in the front sticking out to the sidewalk...

Yeah, my “gazebo” or whatever you’d want to call it is really just barely over the 200 square foot max. 21x12 vs. 20x10. It’s not like a neighbor could go into my back yard and measure. And if I went with 21x11, it’d be even closer to being legit. I guess worst case would be I’d have to move it to agree with setback, but I don’t see that happening.

As far as the length, I get what you're saying but when I go from 21' to anywhere between 22 and 26 feet, the price jumps up by another $440! I'm sure it's because it needs another side support leg.

With my current boat, if I measure from the rail at the back of the trunk and measure forward to the end of the vinyl at the front of the bow, I'd have 1' overhang with a 21' shelter. Yes, not nearly as much as I'd like but I think i could "get by" with it. It wouldn't be hard to hang a tarp to be a flexible front and rear "wall".

I know that 25' would be optimal, but it's a big jump in price and I may be stretching it a lot as it is. (plus 25' would be really breaking county code)

Oh, and with the top of my tower at 10' tall, yeah, mine would be really tall with the 11' tall sides. almost as tall as the peak of my garage's 3rd bay roofline. As a bonus, I would be able to set up my Chalet Alpine A-Frame camping trailer under it if my boat wasn't parked under it. I'm thinking that the additional height will be really nice... Not having to fold the tower would be a plus in my book.
    Last edited by trayson; 09-09-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

If you're county then screw the rules! After our break in I talked to the sheriff about my plans for a 9ft fence (facing the road) and he told me to go for it. That it would be a cold day in hell before they'd do code enforcement on something like that.

I actually only have 7ft from my house to my side fence, but several years ago I re-landscaped my neighbor's front lawn in exchange for her letting me take down the dividing fence and use her 7ft side yard as my own. It was basically a deadspace for her anyway and works great to keep my boat tucked away out of site. Trick is finding a "temporary" cover that will fit in that space as I know the day will come that she'll move, or we will, and I'll be taking down whatever structure and putting the fence back up.

I could build a cover way cheaper than I could buy one - but that makes it feel (and look) a lot more permanent.

Not having to lower the tower would definitely be nice but I'd take out the gutter every time if I didn't...

I'm actually on the Northeast end of town - Padden Parkway and Ward Rd area. We should meet up sometime.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

If you're county then screw the rules! After our break in I talked to the sheriff about my plans for a 9ft fence (facing the road) and he told me to go for it. That it would be a cold day in hell before they'd do code enforcement on something like that.

I actually only have 7ft from my house to my side fence, but several years ago I re-landscaped my neighbor's front lawn in exchange for her letting me take down the dividing fence and use her 7ft side yard as my own. It was basically a deadspace for her anyway and works great to keep my boat tucked away out of site. Trick is finding a "temporary" cover that will fit in that space as I know the day will come that she'll move, or we will, and I'll be taking down whatever structure and putting the fence back up.

I could build a cover way cheaper than I could buy one - but that makes it feel (and look) a lot more permanent.

Not having to lower the tower would definitely be nice but I'd take out the gutter every time if I didn't...

I'm actually on the Northeast end of town - Padden Parkway and Ward Rd area. We should meet up sometime.
    That would be fun. I've got my DD as surfable as it's likely going to get under my ownership, so it's always a treat to get some time behind a v-drive. Mine does put out a nice ski wake though. (despite the fact that I took out the center ski pylon because I'm not serious about slalom).

I usually launch at Portco/Marine Park because it's close and I bought the annual parking permit. We ride on the SW side of government island (along marine drive by the 205 bridge) but have been spending more time in the Hayden Island Slough by the end of the no wake zone and the Port of Portland. The width and increased depth there makes the wife a lot happier.

I used to ride in the Camas Slough before I got my boat, but that's a long haul up river and I have a hard time driving twice the distance and paying for parking when Portco is so convenient.

I've gone out once with Newty, and that was a blast. We're looking at going out Tuesday this week for sure. Maybe Fri/Sat. I'll ride Wed if I can get a crew or if I get an invite to be on someone else's boat...
    www.TraysonsToybox.com