Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Storage

Default Winter Storage

I know....how could I be thinking about winter already when it was just Labor Day a few days ago??? lol. Well, I plan to keep my boat in my backyard this winter and I'm looking for a solid boat canopie to store my boat in all year. It needs to be strong enough to handle our New England winters. I've shrink wrapped my boat before but now I'm looking for something I can use all year long to keep her protected.

Any suggestions on good brands and where to purchase?

Thx!

Mark
    2002 Moomba Outback LSV

Default Winter Storage

Canopy? Is building a structure out of the question? NE winters are pretty harsh. I used to shrink wrap my boat every year in NJ in the offseason, held up fine but like you I'd always wanted to keep it out of the elements. I'd think a strong wind would do wonders on just a canopy unless you really were able to protect it on the sides too.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Canopies like this don't do too well in the wind and 1-2" of snow will stretch them to the breaking point (trust me)

I've had one for a while and have replaced the top at least 3 times now - about every other year. Does fine in the rain but deteriorates in the sun and wind.

I can't recall the name, but Newty was talking about a heavy duty cover that goes clear over the tower. Even saw it on his boat one time. It's got a zippered door up on the side that makes it easier for the thieves to get in and out of too.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Default Re: Winter Storage

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Canopies like this don't do too well in the wind and 1-2" of snow will stretch them to the breaking point (trust me)

I've had one for a while and have replaced the top at least 3 times now - about every other year. Does fine in the rain but deteriorates in the sun and wind.

I can't recall the name, but Newty was talking about a heavy duty cover that goes clear over the tower. Even saw it on his boat one time. It's got a zippered door up on the side that makes it easier for the thieves to get in and out of too.
    Maybe you could put a zip tie through the zipper to deter the would be thieves.
    http://www.transhield-usa.com

PWI as usual...

I'm thinking about more of an all weather car/boat that is made to handle rain, wind and snow. I like the dome style that would shed off the snow easily. Like this one.... Seems pricey but it looks heavy duty and is Galvanized

http://www.acecanopy.com/maca14x24x10.html
    2002 Moomba Outback LSV

That is getting spendy. The frame will hold up fine - it's the tarp material that will go bye-bye.

Are you looking for something permanent or just winter?

Yea, I know... Looking for something a little less pricey. I'm looking for something I can store it in all year long. Hoping it will last a few years. I have a few acres of property where I can store the boat. I can shrink wrap the boat for winter but i would like to keep the trailer out of the winter weather too. It would be nice to have something to protect the boat during the season as well.....

I will continue my research!
    2002 Moomba Outback LSV

If I had the space I'd be putting one of these up-

Humm.... That might be a good idea. Wondering if they have removable sides that can be added for winter? I'll have to look into that. Thx Berg!
    2002 Moomba Outback LSV

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ja....campaignId=WZ

this may work if you don't want to build a structure
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold