Hybrid View

Default Tired of hitting my head, will this work?

I am only 5' 8" and have hit my head on the speakers my share of times. I have taller friends who do it too. I have an '07 XLV with the stock tower.
    I have never seen it before but what about swinging the speakers to the top of the rack? It won't interfere with the rope or the bimini. Looks aside is there a reason I haven't seen any other photos of people doing this?

I can't think of any issues it would present other than looks and if there are any height clearance concerns. Do you ever fold your tower down? I'd bet you don't see it a lot for cosmetic reasons, though.

A pic of a Supra with speakers across the top .......

2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

KG - one - You dont got that many speakers. And Two - It looks like Mickey Mouse ears.

M
    O
    U
    S
    E

Now from a technical stand point - anytime you can physically raise a speaker up your literally moving the sound stage up higher. And thats a great thing. So the age old question of , FORM V FUNCTION. Theres no right answer on this.

Signed,

Mickey

Cuz its F.. ugly
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

While it wouldn't be my thing, I've come across a few that are mounted out to the sides. Clearance with boards/racks may be an issue depending.

These actually look like they can rotate or pivot?

So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    KG - one - You dont got that many speakers.
    Nahh, no reason for 6 speakers. I got 10's

Agreed, its form vs function. I've also seen guys move speakers down the side of the tower. The below pic is with them inside the boat. I've seen them outside the boat like Berg mentioned as well. I'd think it will blow out the passengers with the speakers on the inside of the tower.

2016 Moomba Mojo

I have seen quite a few towers with speaker pods on the exterior sides of the tower that looked really good, especially when they were staggered on a forward leaning tower.
    A lone set over the top of the tower can look like bug eyes and could use a couple of whip antennas up there to complete the theme.
    Certainly moving the speakers higher helps out the occupants in the rear of the cockpit.
    Moving the speakers to the interior vertical portion of the tower usually means mounting them lower which is considerably harder on the rear occupants.
    If you have a V-drive then moving the speakers as far outside as possible can help clear a path down the middle. If you have a direct drive then moving the speakers to the center helps avoid the traffic pattern.
    Moving the speakers to the tower front-to-rear connecting bars of lesser diameter can net you an inch or so of reduced hang height, or more if the bar is flat so that you can direct mount without the use of the collars.

David

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Nahh, no reason for 6 speakers. I got 10's

Agreed, its form vs function. I've also seen guys move speakers down the side of the tower. The below pic is with them inside the boat. I've seen them outside the boat like Berg mentioned as well. I'd think it will blow out the passengers with the speakers on the inside of the tower.

I count six .. are my eyes that bad....
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I count 6 there also. I also spy a 242, though. I have neither.

6 speaker comment was meant as a friendly poke back at Brian. The pic was just to reference what I've seen some guys do in regards to moving speakers to the side of the tower.

My boat has 2 pairs, each pushed towards the sides of the tower to create a walk way in the middle.
    2016 Moomba Mojo