Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Surf Tabs :)

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Oh come on now! You can't just throw that out there without some more details and pics or vid!!!
    that's what I was thinking too
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

This one is with 900 in the center locker 185# driver 175# person in observer seat and 115# person on the rear deck.
    http://youtu.be/u3mbNuZELQA
    I have a crappy video taken from the board on my camera and some pictures I will get put up later.
    2000 Möbius V
    Indmar assault 5.7mpi
    Perfect pass stargazer wake
    Oj 445 will be replaced soon
    1100#on each side of the eng ,800 in ski locker
    almost enough

And no rear ballast?
    No list/lean? Hard to tell.

I'm intrigued to say the least. Our hulls are so rounded and shallow in the back that not many of the surf enhancement "add-ons" have seemed like it would be worth the hassle due to the fit and limited mounting issues.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Last edited by bergermaister; 08-01-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: nevermind...
    2000 Möbius V
    Indmar assault 5.7mpi
    almost enough

Um, not anything new here. It looks like the many surf gate retrofits that tons of people have done.

Basically any of the surf systems that delay convergence make it nice for an evenly weighted boat.

I went with a NSS style system because my flat hull lent itself to that.for me it's a benefot to have a blade vs a gate.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Nope not a new idea at all just adapted to my hull.

Makes for a surf able wave with no ballast of course the wake gets much better as you ad weight to a point.
    The main difference in mine is no new holes in the boat.

I tested a blade style for nothing other than how they tuck away when not in use.
    Couldn't make it do what I wanted.
    This is a crappy video of the gate in action with no rear ballast.
    The gate is as low as I can mount it witch is a bit to low as you can see by all the water coming over it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Ar...ature=youtu.be
    2000 Möbius V
    Indmar assault 5.7mpi
    almost enough

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    One thing I forgot about that I am most intrigued by is centered around the the more leveled ride with even ballast distribution.

So if I'm putting ~1000 in the rear surf corner to lean now, what kind of wave could I get by having ~1000 in each rear locker to totally bury it, plus my locker/nose weight, plus a gate or tab... A North Shore monster?

I know you can supposedly surf with less weight and a gate, but what about maxing it out? Or is there a point of diminishing returns.
    As we continue testing it is possible to get to much weight depending on how the gate is mounted. If you are at the point where the top of the gate is under water at speed its basically pointless. However if you can move the gate up to match then you get a huge wake with a pocket big enough for a semi.

The ability to have the boat set level and still have a good wake is why I started to doing this.
    hopefully I will have better videos in the next week or so.
    2000 Möbius V
    Indmar assault 5.7mpi
    almost enough

^^^^ yeap. Different people have different goals and priorities. Mine is a permenent install, so holes in my hull didnt'tbother me.

Mine is a direct drive, so surfing with no ballast wouldn't happen no matter what I did. But with a vdrive, I can see no ballast surfing being realistic. I have a friend that Has a Tige 21' vdrive that I can surf with no ballast and 1 passenger on the surf side (even with driver on the nonsurf side). Certainly makes me long for a vdrive. But with a surf system, I can get vdrive quality wake on a DD.

Plus the ability to swap from regular to goofy in under 10 seconds is awesome. At some point I could add $200 in Lenco trim tab actuators and be able to swap sides instantly and open up the world of transfer tricks... but that's not a priority now.

However, the ability to weight level is a game changer and has elevated our utility and enjoyment of the boat sooooo much I would never go back to "slammed and listed". Level and less slammed is fantastic.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

How are you mounting the hinged side of the gate to the hull or platform? Can't quite tell from the pics.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

^ what Berg said. Is it just attached to the swim platform brackets somehow? I wonder if those are strong enough over time to handle that kind of load/force. Water at 10mph is extremely powerful. I'd be worred about stress cracks in the gel, and/or hull damage.
    2007 LSV