Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Surf Tabs :)

One thing I forgot about that I am most intrigued by is centered around the the more leveled ride with even ballast distribution.

So if I'm putting ~1000 in the rear surf corner to lean now, what kind of wave could I get by having ~1000 in each rear locker to totally bury it, plus my locker/nose weight, plus a gate or tab... A North Shore monster?

I know you can supposedly surf with less weight and a gate, but what about maxing it out? Or is there a point of diminishing returns.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    One thing I forgot about that I am most intrigued by is centered around the the more leveled ride with even ballast distribution.

So if I'm putting ~1000 in the rear surf corner to lean now, what kind of wave could I get by having ~1000 in each rear locker to totally bury it, plus my locker/nose weight, plus a gate or tab... A North Shore monster?

I know you can supposedly surf with less weight and a gate, but what about maxing it out? Or is there a point of diminishing returns.
    Your point of diminishing returns with a surf gate will come at the point when the gate's burried so much in the water that the water flowing over the top of the gate negates the delayed convergence that you're trying to achieve in the first place. Basically, if you completely SLAMMED your rear with even weight, you'd have to have a surf gate that was placed high enough to reach to the top of the water level. I have yet to see a surf gate that extends 6 to 8" ABOVE the swim platform...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUmoomba View Post
    Does MC still do the surf tabs? My buddy had them and he wasn't overly impressed with them.
    This is what I was thinking. That if Surf Tabs were so awesome, why isn't MC putting them on their new boats anymore??? I've only seen one video where it looks like they're legit and amazing and read quite a few posts saying they aren't all that.

Quote Originally Posted by MJR63 View Post
    Yea, I've seen the Malibu surf gate and that thought did cross my mind w/ these.... But I'm looking to adjust the lean of the boat for normal driving and I'm not sure mounting them at a 45 would do much good for that. I'm hoping to follow the normal contour of the hull and that this install helps w/ normal lean and allows me to fine tune my surf wake.... Similar to Mastercraft surf tabs.

I would be interested to see real world results. it's tempting because the install seems pretty straightforward using existing tech. But I tend to think that if I were going to go the direction of adding something to my boat, that something like Malibu's Surf Gate or Correct Craft's "Nautique Surf System" seem like things that would be more effective (assuming the goal is optimizing the surf wake by delaying convergence). However, admittedly, it seems like your goal isn't completely surf specific. Seems like your goal is just all encompasing and tailored at fine tuning--so this might be great for ya.

Def interested in seeing how it pans out.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Ask and you shall receive...

I can't speak for Malibu but the gates I designed on my boat are legitimate. there isn't a reason for the gates to not allows any water to go over its top but as stated the higher they are out of the water, the more you can evenly load down the boat. I have a full summer on mine and feel I could improve my push by updating to a1000lb bags in the rear lockers and continue to load it with the same ratio. 100% on the surf side, 50% on the non surf side.
    Last edited by cornrickey; 10-13-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Default Surf Tabs :)

MC still has a surf package with tabs and extra soft bags. As we added more weight to the X25 the tabs worked well to clean up the lip of the wave.
    -Jake

Finally got around to install my Lenco tabs I tested them out under normal operation and they work great a leveling the boat under power. Planning on trying them this weekend w/ surfing. I'll keep everyone posted...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    2002 Moomba Outback LSV

Nice install! Waiting for results.....

Curious if you could use these to balance your wakeboard wake some vs shuffling people or filling/draining ballast. Take away some of that weight sensitivity that David Langston has talked about.

This must be a heck of a challenging mod as it looks like you ordered these almost a year ago. But, I think I like your style, because in my head I see it as, "Yeah, honey I'm going to go out to the garage with a few beers and think this over before I put any holes in the boat."

Nice work! Interested to see the results.

Looking forward to your results.
    I built a wake modification system that is working well so far.
    That doesn't effect the wake at all at wakeboarding speeds.

My system doesn't require any ballast at all to have a surfable wake.
    The wake does get bigger and the pocket gets longer as we add ballast.
    Mine is not much different from the one shown at the beginning of this thread other than adjustable for angle and deployment.
    2000 Möbius V
    Indmar assault 5.7mpi
    Perfect pass stargazer wake
    Oj 445 will be replaced soon
    1100#on each side of the eng ,800 in ski locker
    almost enough

Oh come on now! You can't just throw that out there without some more details and pics or vid!!!