Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surf Tabs :)

Default Surf Tabs :)

Just ordered a set of Lenco surf tabs (aka trim tabs) for my 2002 Outback LSV. My boat leans a little to one side depending on where my passengers sit. Figured these would be an easy way to adjust that plus I heard they can be used to help shape the wake for surfing. I know these are not going to make the wake bigger but I like adjustment!

I got a great deal on the kit (edge mount 12" x 9" model 15015-101) and ordered the LED indicator switch kit as well.

I'll post pics of the install and pics of the wave with and without the tabs activated....

Stay tuned,

Mark
    2002 Moomba Outback LSV

Very curious how/where you're going to mount them. Standing by!!!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Me too! I have a Comp with the same issue. Basically the same hull. I would definately like to see pics and hear about your results!
    Goode Nano Mid Ride and Powershell 5 Boots
    HO A-1
    Ronix Parks Bonifay and Hyperlite Bindings
    Liquid Force Watson and Watson Bindings
    Liquid Force 5.0 Surf

I have been wondering about this for years. My Outback is crazy sensitive to weight. I was thinking about trying out the Nauticus Smart Tabs on mine so they would be automatic. I talked to the company a while back about it, but they had never done them on an inboard before.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUmoomba View Post
    I have been wondering about this for years. My Outback is crazy sensitive to weight. I was thinking about trying out the Nauticus Smart Tabs on mine so they would be automatic. I talked to the company a while back about it, but they had never done them on an inboard before.
    I share your comment about our hulls being super sensitive to weight. I find myself all the time telling people to move around. I have also thought about putting auto tabs on it but am a little nervous. I had them on my 21' sterndrive and when deployed, they could bury the bow (cabin cruiser) more than you could imagine. I could see that going very wrong in a DD. I already take water over the bow on regular occasions without ballast.

If you did put in an auto system I would think it would be beneficial to be able to override it and turn it off.
    2008 OBV
    325 EFI with closed cooling
    Gravity III with 750's in the rear, 400 stock floor, 750 IBS
    Servo valve ballast upgrade
    Wetsounds Rev10
    JL Amps, WS420BT

2000 Outback LS <-- Sold!!!
    310 Carb Direct Drive
    800# Rear Locker
    750# IBS (should have kept this for the OBV)
    Dual Batteries with 2 Bank Charger System
    Kenwood Head with Remotes
    Too many hours restoring exterior from prior negligence to count!

The tab system that I'm installing is not automated. It is a manually controlled by a LED dual switch so you adjust them exactly as you like depending on passenger load or activity (ski, wake surfing or boarding).

My tabs should be in early next week!
    2002 Moomba Outback LSV

Automatic tabs wouldn't be ideal for our boats at all, especially if you want to surf, as they're designed to keep the boat level. We want the boat to LEAN.

Bennett or Lenco tabs would be interesting to try. I had the Bennet's on my old crusier and you could definitely lean the boat or compensate for lean with them. It may be even better to mount them sideways, a la Malibu's system. Perhaps a trade off between the two...mount them at 45°....I'd want to practice with a non-permanent mock-up first, though....
    2017 Moomba Craz

Yea, I've seen the Malibu surf gate and that thought did cross my mind w/ these.... But I'm looking to adjust the lean of the boat for normal driving and I'm not sure mounting them at a 45 would do much good for that. I'm hoping to follow the normal contour of the hull and that this install helps w/ normal lean and allows me to fine tune my surf wake.... Similar to Mastercraft surf tabs.
    2002 Moomba Outback LSV

Quote Originally Posted by MJR63 View Post
    Yea, I've seen the Malibu surf gate and that thought did cross my mind w/ these.... But I'm looking to adjust the lean of the boat for normal driving and I'm not sure mounting them at a 45 would do much good for that. I'm hoping to follow the normal contour of the hull and that this install helps w/ normal lean and allows me to fine tune my surf wake.... Similar to Mastercraft surf tabs.
    I guess level with the outer bottom edges of the hull would work best.

You need to take pics of the surf wake before and after the install as I am sure a lot of people, including myself, would like to see if it improves the wake even further than the lean you get from ballast applied to one side.
    Last edited by Stazi; 09-06-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    You need to take pics of the surf wake before and after the install as I am sure a lot of people, including myself, would like to see if it improves the wake even further than the lean you get from ballast applied to one side.
    lots and lots of pics please of the install and wave before and after, would be good to have the person on a board for reference-dont have them free surf but hold the rope so they are very close to the same distance back from the hull.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart