Default '13 LSV Surf Setup help

I just got a '13 Moomba Mobius LSV and I've tried a few times to set the boat up for surfing. I ride goofy footed and I weigh 200lbs and I'm riding a 5'6" Liquid Force "Fish" board.

Here's what I've done so far:
    I've filled the middle hard tank 600lbs, filled the right side bag 600lbs and ran 9.5 - 10.5 mph with the wake plate all the way up. Also my wife (driving) and kids were on the right side as well.

I get a decent wave (about 3' tall). But I don't know what I'm doing wrong because I can't get to the speed that allows me to drop the rope.

Maybe it is just my surfing technique. I'm near OKC and we are gonna go to the lake every weekend we can until my wife says it is too cold for her to go. I have a heater on the boat so it will probably be mid-late November before we winterized the boat. (I'm hoping)

We love being on the lake and if anyone wants to meet up and split the gas we're willing to share the boat with pros and novices alike.

If a "pro" wants to come give some wake boarding and wake surfing lessons I would gladly offer free days worth of pulls for their trouble.

Help!

Using Tapatalk on my Aye-phone
    William

2013 Mobius LSV
    "Surf" Swim Platform, Gravity III Ballast Upgrade with 750s in the rear lockers and a Heater
    JL M600/6 Amp, 6 Cabin Speakers (4 kicker & 2 Polk Audio), 2-Samson S7HD Tower Speakers, JL M10IB5 Sub

My Boat

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post

Maybe it is just my surfing technique.
    ^ Probably this.

Try moving a bit forward on that board and/or widen your stance. You may find your weight needs to be 60/40 front to back on that board.

The 13 LSV has the same running surface as prior years up to 2006. Search mandleys post for how he had his LSV set up for surfing the goofy side. I think he ran an IBS and more rear weight at a higher speed and wakeplate down a bit.

What is an IBS?

Using Tapatalk on my Aye-phone
    William

2013 Mobius LSV
    "Surf" Swim Platform, Gravity III Ballast Upgrade with 750s in the rear lockers and a Heater
    JL M600/6 Amp, 6 Cabin Speakers (4 kicker & 2 Polk Audio), 2-Samson S7HD Tower Speakers, JL M10IB5 Sub

My Boat

Integrated bac sac, a fat sac that fits in the bow roughly 650 lbs. the Lsv likes nose weight.

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-i...d-bow-sac.html
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

And put the toes of your front foot close to the edge of the board.....it will help you to put weight on your toes to follow the boat. To go faster put more weight on your front foot, but you must always have weight on your toes. If you put your weight on your heels you will loose the wake.

This is a link to show you my surf wake behind my 2011 lsv: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUq169g-WWQy

My set up: 1000 lbs back corner, 400 lbs ski locker, 600lbs bow, 200lbs on the floor on the surf side, 2 adults on the surf side, 11.2 mph, wake plate 3\4 up......so easy to follow the boat

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    ^ Probably this.

Try moving a bit forward on that board and/or widen your stance. You may find your weight needs to be 60/40 front to back on that board.

The 13 LSV has the same running surface as prior years up to 2006. Search mandleys post for how he had his LSV set up for surfing the goofy side. I think he ran an IBS and more rear weight at a higher speed and wakeplate down a bit.
    Last edited by hans; 09-05-2013 at 02:02 AM.
    Mobius LSV 2011
    GIII, V2 Tower, Indmar 325,

Post up a video of your "technique" and we'll all criticize you!

Seriously, we are here to help and video is the best way to see exactly what to tell you.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

It's not your wake, it's just you are new at it. We know, we were all beginners once. When I started behind my DD Supra Launch, we had a tiny wake and had no idea what we were doing. I've been doing board sports my entire life, and it took most of my first season to be able to drop the rope and actually surf. You have a huge advantage by coming on here and asking these questions, so you'll get it; just keep practicing.

On my LSV, for goofy I only run 650lbs in rear right locker, 400lbs in ski locker, and driver (sometimes spotter!). The goofy wake is almost equivalent to my regular wake with 1100lbs in the ski locker; the LH prop rotation helps the goofy side out. I'm sure if I added an IBS my pocket would get longer, but the wake is great with just the setup I mention so you don't need it to have a good wake. You've got plenty of weight to make a good wake.

I run with my wakeplate all the way up because I like a steep wake, but that makes the wake really steep especially since I don't have weight in the bow. In my experience, the more you put the wakeplate down the more the wake mellows out and the pocket gets a little longer (stays big, just not nearly as steep). My suggestion is start with it right at 50% (halfway, some might call that 0). For newer riders that's where I usually have my plate, between 50% and 75%.

I run 10.5 - 11 mph, usually closer to 11. About 10.3 is the minimum I can ever go. The minimum speed you can go is right when the wake wash disappears and you get a nice clean lip with a curl behind it. I suggest you set your perfect pass (or cruise) at a baseline of around 10 mph and see what the wake looks like without a rider, and then speed up at your smallest increment, one step at a time. Give it at least 20 or 30 seconds before you change speed so the wake can develop properly. At the point it cleans up, you know your minimum speed. Then, by preference of the rider, you can always speed up from there.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV