Hybrid View

Default Air strut suspension fail

I've had a couple of SUVs now with rear air suspension. With both vehicles at some point some components fail and it's fairly expensive to repair. Anyone here converted their air suspension to coil-over struts like strutmasters.com sells? The conversion kit is less than the cost of one new air strut.

I live the air suspension for keeping the rig level when towing, no back end sag but the repairs are pricey.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

I have a Yukon Denali with rear air ride. Mine went out last summer on a trip out to MN. Had to have them replaced by a dealer out there and it WAS Very Expensive. However, the factory replacement units are a lifetime warranty so if/when they ever fail again they can be done forever at no charge.

Funny because I asked the dealer what they have done to change them or why the new units are warrantied for life? He laughed and said it's the same part. Unfortunately the OEM part is not backed when the factory warranty runs out and they are not covered. But buy the same part now and they are lifetime backed. Go figure!!

Personally I think in the long run they are worth it for as much as we tow. For someone who doesn't tow alot then I think regular suspension would suffice.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Thanks Viking. I'm bailing on the air and going with a conversion kit. Hopefully it will work for us. 110k on the beast and I only want to get a year more use out of it (20k or so). At that mileage I figured the next owner wouldn't care if it had rear air struts or might be relieved it had been converted. Plus I'm cheap
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

I think I'd make the same call in your situation. That's alot of goodies for the boat

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    I think I'd make the same call in your situation. That's alot of goodies for the boat
    Installed the kit last Saturday morning. Took about 3 hours start to finish. Hooked up the boat and were on the water by noon.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Check out Arnott. I just replaced my rear shocks on my 07 Denali and it was a fraction of what the dealer charges. I think I paid $385. I also replaced the pump $175.
    2008 LSV

I wish I would have know about Arnott before and wish mine would have gone out at home. It would have saved me a ton. It's highway robbery what the dealers charge but I was in a tough spot being 800miles from home with no tools.

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"