Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying off Ebay, sight unseen?

I am in the market for a boat. I look on Ebay now and then. Do people really buy a boat sight unseen off Ebay. Personally, I would never buy a boat that I haven't thoroughly inspected and test drove. There are a couple of auctions that I have been watching that are close to $30k. The auctions have only been going on for two days and they have at least 8 different bidders on each. You know that all 8 of these people could not have seen and inspected the boat in 2 days time.

Am I just too conservative and safe?

Hey Claytorman,

Bought my Outback out of Eugene Oregon 2 years ago sight unseen, but it was from a dealership on Boat Trader. They were very honest and answered all my questions. I also spoke to the owner of the shop, which made me feel a little less nervous buying not only off the internet, but out of the country!! I also checked their website out and the BBB in Eugene to see if they were a reputable business. It is always a risk buying sight unseen, but I know the members on the forum would probably check it out if they are in the area of where it is located. I think if you do some calling and talking with the seller, you will get an idea of their knowledge of the boat, who has driven it and the maintenance of it.
    But there is always risk, and 30K is nothing anyone likes to risk.

Kidder
    2016 Craz
    2007 LSV - Sold
    2003 Outback - Sold

You're really only risking your deposit. It might be worth it if the boat looks good and you get to see it before you pay the balance. You might even be able to get your deposit back through paypal of the merchandise is not as it was represented. PITA though. Most people put the boat on ebay to get it out there and then sell it locally.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I found my boat on ebay, but didn't technically buy it through ebay. The reserve for my boat was about $1k more than I wanted to pay, so after the auction ended with nobody winning it, I contacted the seller and said I was willing to pay $1k less, and we worked out a deal. However, I drove up to pick up the boat myself (about 10 hours away), so nothing was paid for until I had looked it over. I would have been nervous making a commitment on ebay w/o seeing a boat.
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

i have bought off of ebay - most sellers wont even want a deposit if you are going to be there in a day or two of auction close - as long as you contact them and discuss it all.....

I have taken a gamble or two - but then i seem to get lucky or be good in my read of people ....... i had a 4+ hour each way to pick up mine,,,,,and quite frankly did not have time to lake test it...... i did my homework on the company and the guy selling it himself as far as background checking...... and when i met him he seemed trustworthy ....as it turned out boat ran fine......

like anything else do your homework and go from there......
    When stuck inside......
    Hanging out here and at my favorite camping and truck forums
    same name at www.dogandtrailer.com and www.duramaxforum.com
    2006 Mobius LS, 2009 Sydney Outback 310 BHS, 2011 Duramax - My toys

I've sold two items items after there eBay auction ended. it's a super cheap way to advertise.

I just had the same experience. Found my boat on eBay through a google search of what I was looking for. Contacted the seller before the auction ended to try and work something out as to time frame for pick up, I live 1000 miles from where the boat was. Auction ended without a winning bidder. Spoke again with the guy and worked out a deal, had the boat a few weeks and a long drive later. It helps to find out the seller's name and google it. Found out my guy owned one of the largest home builder in the south.
    Jr.
    '08 Outback V

I had a 25k item on it and had at least a dozen people ask " what will it take to win it" I always laughed and answered " the highest bid above my reserve". Then I would tell them to contact me if it doesn't sell. there's allot of sharks out there.

Default Re: Buying off Ebay, sight unseen?

EBay is the safest buy, if you do the transaction thru eBay you're fully covered. You can even pickup the boat, use it for 60(maybe 45) days. If you're not satisfied you submit a item not as described dispute. You can force the seller to either give a partial refund or take it back.. eBay screws the seller, they'll pretty much side with the buyer in almost all cases...

Bottom line never sell anything on eBay, only buy..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

wholly crap. I didn't know that. there would be a fight if someone used my boat for 45 days and then decided to return it. that's crazy talk there, but I'm sure it's true.