Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Buying off Ebay, sight unseen?

I used to sell/buy a lot on eBay, sold 2-3 cars & boats, I got hit with this scam selling my old cell phone. My options were to fight it out which can take forever and the funds are taken out of your account until the issue is resolved, or give a refund that the buyer will accept or ask them to return the item and hope they don't break it or put rocks in it's place.. I chose the refund and it was clear the buyer knew what he was doing... I got lucky it only cost me $60 and a lot of stress, but I'll never sell again on eBay... If it would've been on a car or a boat it would've really cost me...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

I have sold over 250 items on ebay and only ever had 1 bad experience. overall it's a great way to buy and sell if you are careful about it.
    sold my '98 eclipse on it and sold both my '03 and '06 evo's.

I prefer ebay to craigslist for most things as it takes the personal touch out of the equation. just sold my 2 old htc tmobile cellphones on ebay. cl might have netted me $30 each and having to deal with all the "take payments" and "just seeing if you still have them" is a pita. sold in 2hrs for $150/pr, money funded in another hour and they are gone next day. no questions, no hassles and no negotiations..
    cl for me are only for items that are a pita to ship and mark it up accordingly knowing you'll have to deal.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

bought my boat off ebay just this last june sight unseen 1300 miles away, talked to the guy got alot of pics, wired the money, had it shipped up via uship.com and havent had a single problem.. hell its was deal!! 32K for 07 XLV with 210hrs

The day i got it!

07 Gravity Games Edition XLV
    -EXiled Out System Amps,Sub,Speakers,etc.. Modified Gravity III Ballast, Blue Leds Throughtout boat, still more to come!

02 Moomba LSV "SOLD"

Tow Rig-12' F150 Ecoboost-leveled/intake

Default Re: Buying off Ebay, sight unseen?

Nice I bought mine in phoenix and used uship to Chicago, just made sure to insure it..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

buying a boat without inspecting it is a terrible idea, but that's how I bought my Nautique. I bought it from a ski junkie I met on another forum and after talking with him on the phone I was pretty sure I knew what I was getting. We found a guy to tow it across the country and it ended up working well, but when I think about what I did it still seems nuts. I held back some $ that we agreed I would pay after the boat got to my house, started and ran properly, and looked like it did in the pics.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Man you stole that XLV!
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Default Buying off Ebay, sight unseen?

Ask for phone before bidding. Call and talk. See if you can find Someone to review it!
    I bought first boat on eBay only after talking to seller several times.
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Bought my first boat on ebay sight unseen. Talked to the seller a few times he was upfront and honest about everything. Boat was in the shape he told me it was. He was just a guy trying to sell a boat. Like people have suggested just try to talk to someone before hand and look at their seller rating.
    2008 Mobius XLV - SOLD

Definitely talking in person, and of course looking at their seller rating, is very important for something of that magnitude. If the seller isn't willing to talk to you on the phone before you bid, red flag.

Bought my LSV on this forum sight unseen, drove 5 hours to meet the seller (who also drove 5 hours) with a check in my hand. Was exactly what I was looking for; I could tell the seller was honest, he was up front about everything and sent me a lot of pics. We talked on the phone and texted many times throughout the whole process, he was always available. I was also looking at boats on eBay, and there was an 07 Supra Launch in Texas and also one in Indiana I was pretty interested in; I probably would've bought either sight unseen if I hadn't bought my LSV becuase they both had a lot of detail and contact information for the seller.

I've bought quite a few other expensive things sight unseen, some on eBay and some through other methods (CL, Autotrader, etc). I think you can get a feel for it when you talk to them in person, definitely go with your gut and don't proceed if you feel iffy at all. If it's something really expensive, I always talk to them on the phone before I bid. I bought a 01 Mustang Saleen S281 vert from NJ sight unseen about 6 or 7 years ago, a few trucks including an 07 Ram 3/4 ton last year in PA and a 01 F350 diesel about the same time as the Saleen. I've also bought a handful of motorcycles and dirbikes off eBay sight unseen. I've never had a bad experience, because I've never gone forward with a deal unless I was completely comfortable with the seller over the phone.

I owned an ebay store, like an actual retail location (but not a franchise, my own) for a couple years. I sold quite a few motorcycles, cars, boats, trailers, etc. I was always very honest and took as many pictures as I possibly could, especially if there was any type of blemish. I also always did a video if it was a vehicle. I never had an issue as a seller either, because I was always completely up front, honest, and available to be contacted; I think people can catch on to that.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV