Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Boat Launch idiots!!

Was taken our boat out after a great day pulling the kids and wife Wake Boarding and Wake Surfing and all I have to say is - no one at the ramp had any sense, no courtesy, and I swear I thought I would go postal.
    First thing is the beloved Jet skiers tied up all three ramps with their jet skis just talking - no trailers just sitting blocking the ramps... I figured they would get out of the way if I started backing the trailer down the ramp - But no such luck - while I was backing the trailer up - a twit in a black Mercedes drove behind me which caused me to slam on the brakes and many words I thought where out of my vocabulary came out... She looked at me when she got next to me and said - sorry... I informed her in language I am sure she could understand that she was more than sorry.... I then got out of the truck and yelled at the jet skiers - it was like I flushed a covey of quail - they started scattering. Well I got back in to back up again and a small car towing a jet ski pulled behind me to launch their jet ski blocking me and making me slam my brakes on for the second time. He decided once I got out of the truck he might want to get out of the immediate area and left.
    Finally got the trailer in the water -Wife put the boat on the trailer - I asked her to cut the motor off - I pulled the boat out to wipe down and clean before heading home and well The wife left the motor running - I heard the boat running about 30 feet from the ramp - slammed the brakes on and yelled to cut the boat off - she did cut the boat off. At this time I was needing something stronger than a diet Coke... I pulled back around - put the boat back in the water and asked her to crank it up and let me know what the temp was - Thank God it was 160 degrees - Let the boat run for 5 minutes to make sure we didnt ruin the impeller.
    This was my GREAT DAY at the lake - Thank God for Johnny Walker Red....... I will never launch again at Lanier South!!!!!!!

Default Boat Launch idiots!!

North side is the best side! However there are a BUNCH of idiots at 6 mile where we usually put in...I feel your pain
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

It drives me up the wall when this stuff happens. Dropped my buddy off at the dock to back the pickup down and when he started backing up a boat pulled on his side of the dock and stayed there. He got out and said that I was getting ready to pull in and his reply was "Well my boat is here" After some unkindly words we were able to wait for the other side to come avaible, but is just frustrating.
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

Ok so at least I know its not just the people that are at my launch. A couple of things I think are just common sense but I have been proven wrong a few times. Be ready when you get to the launch, ropes and life jackets in the boat, the only thing I leave to do at the ramp is put the plug in. If I get there and am waiting I then put the plug in, I have the plug and wrench ready so I don't have to look for it. If I get there and don't have to wait I back the boat almost to the water, get out and put the plug in and attach the bow line. Then drop it in. I can't believe how many people get to the ramp and then try to get organized and take 15min to launch while others are standing there waiting.

During a hotspell up here this summer I arrive at the launch to take my boat out. The dock is full of swimmers and fisherman. Two adult male dumb a$$es are swimming and standing at the end of the dock by the ramp so I swing around them and park. No big deal I guess, but if it was me I would have got out of the way for the boat. So now I dock and tie up, go get in my truck and back up toward the ramp. The one rocket scientist that is standing in the middle of the ramp doesn't move so I get out of the truck and he asks me if I need to get in there. I politely answered yes out loud, but my inner voice is saying "no you $hit for brains I am just practicing backing up my trailer and will leave the boat at the dock for you guys to enjoy". So he gets out of the way but his friend stays right at the end treading water. I back the trailer in and probably am within ft of him I go and untie my boat and finally have to say "hey bud can I just get in there for a minute to load my boat?" his reply was a rather sarcastic "sure bud".

I guess this happens at a public free launch that is right beside a trailer park.......

Brian

We are lucky around here to have an incredibly steep ramp right next to the only marina on the lake. The length and grade of the ramp seams to keep the morons away.

It does help that I have seen conservation officers handing out tickets for people fishing or swimming near a boat ramp.
    2000 Möbius V
    Indmar assault 5.7mpi
    Perfect pass stargazer wake
    Oj 445 will be replaced soon
    1100#on each side of the eng ,800 in ski locker
    almost enough

I'm curious why you wait till you get to the ramp to put the plug in (assuming you mean rear drain plug)? I usually do that at home before I leave for the ramp and before I put the swim platform on. Do you drive a long way and worry about a storm hitting while enroute?

We too have idiots at the ramp, I can't understand why people don't take the time to train their wive's/girlfriends to either drive the boat onto the trailer or back a trailer. My wife has been backing the trailer since we got the boat so we never need to take up space at the ramp waiting for the tow vehicle. Yesterday at the end of the day we pulled up to to the ramp, I dropped my wife to get the truck/trailer and saw a pontoon FULL of adults sitting at a ramp. I thought they were going out and were waiting for the guy who parked the truck. My wife pulls up a few minutes later to the same ramp they are sitting in (luckily they were at least all the way back in the ramp) and I motor around the pontoon. on to the trailer, hook up and we are clear in less than a minute or 2. Next thing I see is the guy in the truck getting ready to recover his pontoon with all the adults in it (he had to wait a minute for us to clear). We had the boat wiped down and were pulling out of the parking lot by the time they got up to the recovery area. Just my little pet peeve, teach someone else to do something useful so they don't need to sit there holding a rope taking up space at the ramp.

Luckily we never have swimmers or anyone else taking up space at the ramp, just the occasional idiot boater who insists on leaving his boat forward in the ramp instead of all the way at the back of the ramp, and completely tying up that one ramp so nobody can launch or recover until they are done, a$$ hats!
    06 Mobius LSV, GIII (now with 1100 in the port locker), perfect pass, wakeplate
    Kicker KM10 Sub, dual batteries

There' a launch in Lake Shawano, Swan Acres subdivion where the neighbors adjacent to the launch simply pull up there their lawn chairs just watch the comedy show during really busy holiday or whenever a quick storm comes or even after the fireworks on the 4th.

Ive also seen local Wisconsin Fishermen blow into the ramp at just about full speed, reverse, drop, park, jump in their boats & be off in one breath! Unfortunately I've been one of this idiots when I first acquired my boat ...thats a why they call us FIBTAB's....
    2006 Mobius LS

I had no ramp issues yesterday. I took my good friend out and his son and 4 of his friends plus a few of my kids. There was just about nobody out there except for one group of kids in a Nautique. This guy came barreling down on my down boarder in the water. I drove straight at him and made him "chicken" away from my rider. I didn't yell or anything cuz I had a boat full of kids. A little while later he decides he needs to pass me while I'm towing a kid on a board. He messed up our water for no good reason several times (there is about 10 miles of river in the area and hardly anybody out-- no reason to be anywhere near me). Anyway, later on I saw them floating. Then I saw them floating again a mile or so downstream. Turns out they were broken down. I wonder why they couldn't find a tow in. LOL. I was going to go fetch them at the end of the day anyway cuz it's who I am-- but not going to waste half my day to tow them 6-8 miles back in in the middle of our day. An hour later I saw them getting towed by a little fishing boat. Good for them-- hope they never come back.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by REDFIVE48 View Post
    I'm curious why you wait till you get to the ramp to put the plug in (assuming you mean rear drain plug)? I usually do that at home before I leave for the ramp and before I put the swim platform on. Do you drive a long way and worry about a storm hitting while enroute?

We too have idiots at the ramp, I can't understand why people don't take the time to train their wive's/girlfriends to either drive the boat onto the trailer or back a trailer. My wife has been backing the trailer since we got the boat so we never need to take up space at the ramp waiting for the tow vehicle. Yesterday at the end of the day we pulled up to to the ramp, I dropped my wife to get the truck/trailer and saw a pontoon FULL of adults sitting at a ramp. I thought they were going out and were waiting for the guy who parked the truck. My wife pulls up a few minutes later to the same ramp they are sitting in (luckily they were at least all the way back in the ramp) and I motor around the pontoon. on to the trailer, hook up and we are clear in less than a minute or 2. Next thing I see is the guy in the truck getting ready to recover his pontoon with all the adults in it (he had to wait a minute for us to clear). We had the boat wiped down and were pulling out of the parking lot by the time they got up to the recovery area. Just my little pet peeve, teach someone else to do something useful so they don't need to sit there holding a rope taking up space at the ramp.

Luckily we never have swimmers or anyone else taking up space at the ramp, just the occasional idiot boater who insists on leaving his boat forward in the ramp instead of all the way at the back of the ramp, and completely tying up that one ramp so nobody can launch or recover until they are done, a$$ hats!
    New law in MN states that you must have the plug removed while towing. Evidently, it also means that you must not put anything into the boat until you are at the launch. Morons are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Tire Guy View Post
    New law in MN states that you must have the plug removed while towing. Evidently, it also means that you must not put anything into the boat until you are at the launch. Morons are everywhere.
    Wow, interesting, what is the reason the lawmakers came up with for this if you happen to know? Thankfully this isn't the case in NC (that I know of).
    06 Mobius LSV, GIII (now with 1100 in the port locker), perfect pass, wakeplate
    Kicker KM10 Sub, dual batteries