Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Yearly maintenance / winterization

Being a new OBV (and inboard) owner I'm curious what everyone thinks is necessary end-of-the-season maintenance that is different than what the owner's manual calls for? What is needed in the first year (I should have right around 25 hrs at the end of the season) vs. every year after the first?

I have asked the same question of my dealer and so far they have been great to work with, but I would like to come into the discussion with them as intelligent as I can since I'm not much of an engine guy.

And as far as winterization goes, what is the general thought on inboards about either using antifreeze or just draining all the water from the engine? The dealer/shop I used for my old I/O swore by just draining the water and I never had an issue after 10 yrs but I'm not sure if that thought process holds true with inboards. My boat is stored in non-heated storage in IL during the winter so we can definitely get below zero temps.

Welcome any and all of your thoughts.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Now this is a painful topic to bring up in August. there is a great writeup in the how to section by Al cab.. something. sorry al, im not here enough to remember your name. but he has tons of pictures and instructions. he has an LSV, but for most of the info for your OBV, i think is probably similar.

but winterize for certain, and remember to drain the heater core too.
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

Quote Originally Posted by yearround View Post
    Now this is a painful topic to bring up in August. there is a great writeup in the how to section by Al cab.. something. sorry al, im not here enough to remember your name. but he has tons of pictures and instructions. he has an LSV, but for most of the info for your OBV, i think is probably similar.

but winterize for certain, and remember to drain the heater core too.
    Yeah, sorry about that, I guess I could have at least waited until after Labor Day...

I did see that post on the winterizing and will certainly be referencing that when the time comes -- I was really more interested in what everyone thinks about whether antifreeze is needed or not.

Please keep the comments coming, I'm interested to hear what everyone does for "normal" yearly maintenance as well.

Thanks.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Don't use the evil *******nterization word around here in August!

At the end of the day yesterday on the way in I did notice the air slightly cooler than usual. Uh oh. Football is starting too. Our season goes till Halloween so I'm not too worried yet.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Don't use the evil *******nterization word around here in August!

At the end of the day yesterday on the way in I did notice the air slightly cooler than usual. Uh oh. Football is starting too. Our season goes till Halloween so I'm not too worried yet.
    Here in the midwest my boat is usually already in storage for the winter come Halloween and I'm really lucky to get any time on the water after Labor Day. With the kids back in school and my son playing football on Friday nights that really hampers the lake time. I keep telling the wife we need to move to a warmer climate!!!
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

the years I had the dealer winterize, they do antifreeze and I was told by both it's part of the process. I winterized the supra myself 4 of the 5 winters and didn't use it. I keep my boats in an insulated garage(no heat) so they stay around 50deg or so. no need for antifreeze but your storage needs may be different. It's really not important to get every drop of water out of the boat as all you want is enough room for expansion should the worst happen and it does get exposed to freezing weather.

this is all imo and take it fwiw. others will have differing opinions and I would say do what makes YOU comfortable.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

First year I used antifreeze. Every year thereafter I did not. If you have access to an air hose just spray out your ballast lines and all with air after you've pulled them to drain, and as mentioned before be sure to drain your block.

Ugh, this post reminds me that fall is coming and that means boating season is nearing an end in a few months.....
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

I drain and then do antifreeze since it's only $15 and makes me worry less. Plus the antifreeze is supposed to help with corrosion prevention. Don't think it's a big deal either way, as long as you get the water out.

Definitely change oil at the end of the season. You don't want old oil sitting all winter.

^I have heard this as well and always store with fresh oil. makes it easier on that nice spring day you impromptu pull the boat out and run it for the first time
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten