Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default which to buy, a 2006 or 2008 LSV?

Hey guys - I need your help here. I am looking to buy a LSV. I have two on my radar that I am going to look at. One is a 2006 and the other is a 2008. Below are the differences between the two, everything else is equal between them. Which way would you go?

2006 LSV - 210 hours, perfect pass, gravity I ballast, 4 tower speakers, dual amps, two subwoofers, dual batteries, dual axle trailer, $32K

2008 LSV - 146 hours, Moomba cruise, gravity III ballast, no tower speakers, factory sound system, no subwoofer, single battery, single axle trailer, $34K

I want to use the boat for tubing, wakeboarding, and surfing. I am a decent wakeboarder now, but definitely want to learn to surf. I have two boys 11 and 13. With the 2006, I will need to add ballast. With the 2008, I would want to add at least two tower speakers. I really don't care about having a killer sound system. Just something that I can hear at a reasonable volume while surfing or wakeboarding. The prices on both sound pretty firm.

What is the difference between the perfect pass and the Moomba cruise?

pp is better IMO, have any pictures. You would most likely redo the ballast system anyhow.

and what type of stereo, sometimes its does not pay to buy the system. I guess I would lean to the 08.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

All else being equal, would get the 2006 for the following reasons:
    1 - it costs less to upgrade/add ballast than it does to add tower speakers, amps and subs
    2 - you would need to upgrade the ballast on the 08 to surf, the stock ballast on my 06 didn't provide enough wake to surf
    3 - perfect pass is very cool, never messed with the Moomba cruise
    4 - many people have had issues with the torsion axles failing (myself included) on the trailer, with dual axles you are not stuck on the side of the road
    5 - just added dual batteries to mine, like the upgrade
    06 Mobius LSV, GIII (now with 1100 in the port locker), perfect pass, wakeplate
    Kicker KM10 Sub, dual batteries

I might decide this one based on how far I tow. The dual axle is a better trailer (I have single and have had no problems though). Does either have the swing-away tongue? That was a deal maker/breaker for me. PP is awesome and is a $1000 consideration. Ballast you can add yourself-- same with tunes. Let's see pics of them both. (By the way, you can't go wrong either way-- they are the same hull so condition is very important.)
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

The drive to the lake for me is 12 miles each way, so not very far.

If I can add 2 tower speakers with the factory amp on the 2008, I would be golden. Wetsounds has a pair on closeout for $400. That would be plenty of sound for me.

To upgrade the 2008 gravity III system to 1100lbs is $215 per side. To upgrade the 2006 gravity 1, I think that I would be looking at $1500 for bags, pumps, switches, then a bunch of wiring and plumbing.

It looks like the Moomba cruise is an rpm based system, while the perfect pass is speed based from the paddle wheel. Upgrading to perfect pass looks to be $1000, if I really need it. I have never used either.

I attached pics. Solid blue boat is the 2008. The overall condition of both seem to be pretty good.

This is a tough choice! I do like the color scheme on the 2006 better.

LSV2006.jpgLSV2008.jpg

Condition, color, and the trailer are the things that are tough to change... I wouldn't consider stereo or ballast in your decision as you will likely be upgrading both if you spend more than a few minutes on this forum.

EDIT: just saw your last post with pics and details. 2008 all the way
    Last edited by brain_rinse; 08-22-2013 at 03:46 PM.

I just found out that the 2006 is actually Moomba cruise and not Perfect Pass, so that takes one more thing out of the equation.

Wow, if only you could combine options from each to get just the right combo lol!

I have the stock G3 ballast with 1100lb bag in the back left (you're definitely going to want it for surfing). My ballast pumps are all stock, and it takes quite some time to fill that 1100.

Perfect pass is a must have in my opinion. How I see it, if you get the 06 you get a better trailer, have perfect pass and a sweet stereo (I could care less about that, but it's still a lot of money), and to boot you save $2k on price! You could put that $2k into a complete new faster filling ballast system (probably not even that much) and have kick@$$ everything. That boat would be completely decked out. For that $2k you could easily plumb in new faster pumps, rear 1100lb sac, and even an in bow sac probably!

If you get the 08, you're going to buy new bags regardless, the ballast will fill slowly like mine does, if you want a kickin stereo then there's a bunch of money right there, not as good of a trailer, and you'll spend $2k more on the boat! Plus you like the 06 color scheme better, and I don't blame you...not too into the complete blue myself, and I like the graphic on the 06 better.

BTW, looks like 08 also doesn't have a bimini top.

The only other consideration I would say is negotiation...what will they come down to? If you're always at a $2k higher premium for that 08, in my opinion it's a no brainer to go with the 06.

HOWEVER, you'll love either!!!!
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Claytorman View Post
    I just found out that the 2006 is actually Moomba cruise and not Perfect Pass, so that takes one more thing out of the equation.
    Awwww poop...that's $1300 right there. But the 08 doesn't have it either, so you're kind of apples to apples even more now. Still, in my opinion, 06 is a better deal pending what you could negotiate on either!
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

Do you want to consider resale in your decision?