Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

That 7K was gelcoat, new 1847 prop (one that was damaged was only month old), strut and rudder

2012-06-26 08.38.33.jpg2012-06-26 08.38.56.jpg
    Last edited by Clamcakes; 08-28-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    2009 LSV Liquid Force Edition
    - Gravity III - Upgraded 900lb rear locker
    - Z5 Rack
    - ACME 1847
    - Polk MM6501UM - Kicker IX500.4
    - Kicker CompVX 12" - Kicker IX1000.1
    - Pair Wetsounds Rev 10s - JL Audio HD750/1
    - RGB LEDs

Update: The extend of the damage is:
    Bent up prop
    Bent prop shaft
    Bent prop shaft strut
    Gouge in gelcoat
    Stress cracks in gelcoat at the strut mounting bolts.

The gelcoat damage is all cosmetic – no structural damage. The repair estimate was just north of $5,000. I heard back from my insurance company today – they mailed me a check for the full amount less my $80 deductible last Friday. They took 10 days to turn it around but I am very relieved that they are going to pay for all of the damage. I will probably replace all the underwater gear myself then pay someone to do the gelcoat repair. I will also be adding a dripless shaft seal while I am at it (since mine has the packing rope seal).

FYI, I have the “Yacht” policy with BoatUS for which I pay $270/year and had a $320 deductible to start. Every year that I don’t file a claim, they refund 10% of the premium and reduce the deductible by 25% (until it goes down to $80, then it goes no lower). So since I have been with them for a few years and this is my first claim, my deductible was only $80. So glad I insured with them!

I have been paying insurance on this boat and my previous boat for 22 years combined and this is the first time I have ever filed a claim so I guess I’m glad I a getting something out of all those years of paying insurance .
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Glad to hear you are going to be well taken care of. I need to shop my policy this winter. Paying too much.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Glad to hear you are going to be well taken care of. I need to shop my policy this winter. Paying too much.
    let me know what you go with
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Al,

Good to hear it is getting taken care of. Also I might need to shop around for new insurance.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Default Prop Strike - WARNING: Graphic Pics

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Update: The extend of the damage is:
    Bent up prop
    Bent prop shaft
    Bent prop shaft strut
    Gouge in gelcoat
    Stress cracks in gelcoat at the strut mounting bolts.

The gelcoat damage is all cosmetic – no structural damage. The repair estimate was just north of $5,000. I heard back from my insurance company today – they mailed me a check for the full amount less my $80 deductible last Friday. They took 10 days to turn it around but I am very relieved that they are going to pay for all of the damage. I will probably replace all the underwater gear myself then pay someone to do the gelcoat repair. I will also be adding a dripless shaft seal while I am at it (since mine has the packing rope seal).

FYI, I have the “Yacht” policy with BoatUS for which I pay $270/year and had a $320 deductible to start. Every year that I don’t file a claim, they refund 10% of the premium and reduce the deductible by 25% (until it goes down to $80, then it goes no lower). So since I have been with them for a few years and this is my first claim, my deductible was only $80. So glad I insured with them!

I have been paying insurance on this boat and my previous boat for 22 years combined and this is the first time I have ever filed a claim so I guess I’m glad I a getting something out of all those years of paying insurance .
    I have the boat US yacht policy too and my deductible is like a grand and I pay like 500 a year! They raised my premium on me this year and when I called and asked why they "everyone's premium is going up due to unusual weather events"

I need your agent, I'm getting screwed!

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    I have the boat US yacht policy too and my deductible is like a grand and I pay like 500 a year! They raised my premium on me this year and when I called and asked why they "everyone's premium is going up due to unusual weather events"

I need your agent, I'm getting screwed!

Sent from my iPhone
    That is nuts! But as we all know, there are many factors that go into determining one's insurance premium (age, driving record, part of the country, storage location, age/value of boat, etc.) so it's hard to compare apples to apples.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I pay $217 a year with a $500 deductible with American Family Insurance. About three years ago I went with them when they were $900 a year cheaper on my policies. I've had home, boat trailer and car claims done fast and no increase in premiums.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

So I finally got started on this. I removed the prop, propeller shaft, and strut this weekend and then dropped the boat off tonight at West One Marine in Lake Oswego so Gary can do the gelcoat work. In trying to remove the shaft coupler, I discovered that there was not enough room between the couplers to get a socket in there to remove the nut. Also, I plan to install a PSS dripless shaft seal so I decided to remove the v-drive to give myself plenty of room to work. Pulling the v-drive was a piece of cake - I had it out in about 15 minutes.

Next, it's time to remove the coupler nut. First, remove the set screw with an allen wrench. Then get a 27mm socket for the nut. The nut is not very deep/thick so it's easy for the socket to slip off and possibly strip the nut. After briefly trying to muscle it off with a socket wrench, I decided to get my impact wrench out as I did not want to risk rounding off the nut. The impact wrench spun the nut right off.

Here you can see how thin the nut is.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Now it's time to remove the coupler. I went to Autozone and borrowed a 5 ton pulley puller. Here it is in place. Put the nut back on a few turns so that the puller all thread does not slip off the prop shaft and so it catches the coupler when it pops off.

Success! Even though I knew it was going to pop off, it still scared the crap out of me when it did. I actually thought the puller broke.

Next, it was time to remove the strut. This was not too bad except that two of the nuts are under the oil pan and it took me a little while to find them. Once I did, it was not too bad getting the six allen bolts and nuts off that hold the strut in place. Here is the strut. Uh, yeah, it's a little bent
    Last edited by cab13367; 09-17-2013 at 01:18 AM.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV