Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

This seems to be a common occurrence this time of year as the lakes are getting low everywhere. Regarding the prop hitting the gelcoat, I agree with everyone that it seems very unlikely/impossible that this occured given that the shaft strut is not broken. I should clarify that this comment was made by the shop when I called them and described the damage over the phone, before they got a chance to see it in person.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Woody929 View Post
    On the bright side, it could look like this one sitting at a local shop
    Wow... I certainly hope something this bad never happens to me or anyone else for that matter... makes me sick...
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

Dang Al that sucks. You did not have a good start or end to this trip. Hope everything in between was a blast.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Default Prop Strike - WARNING: Graphic Pics

Quote Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post
    Wow... I certainly hope something this bad never happens to me or anyone else for that matter... makes me sick...
    Yup, check out Dallas Ski Boats on Facebook. There are more pictures like this. When I saw them last week, it made me very nervous going out. And what happened to us on Saturday? Bent prop. Not near this bad, but bad enough. New one gets here Friday.

I'll be visiting them in the in the off season to fix this:

At some point we hit a stump (unrelated to the prop)

We need rain
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

i cant even imagine what that mastercraft hit haha let alone how they will fix that hole..i hit a nice size long with mine, shaft, strut, and prop had to be replaced..damn trees haha
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

I hit something with the supra in the water a few years back, either a big log floating under the surface or a stump (in a river at the time). Mine was a harder hit to the rudder though than the prop, although the prop took a hit too. The shaft didn't look bent, but it was. The rudder actually jammed back and hit the hull, causing cracks. The total job was $4300 if I rememer right, which was fiberglass repair, new prop (reconditioned), shaft, etc. My insurance did cover it minus my $500 deductable.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Boonejeepin View Post
    So sorry Al!

I would bet that Independent Marine Propeller
    In Portland may be able to repair the shaft and strut. Not sure about the prop but that shop has worked wonders in the past.

Although, if you are filing an insurance claim I would let the insurance company work on the part replacement details.

Looks to be about 6 - 8 hrs of glass and gel work, 4-5 hrs of driveline labor including realignment, + materials and parts (about $1300).

I would bet that the AWS quote is in the $5000+ range.
    Keep the bent prop Al, have insurance buy a new one but keep your old one, take to the guys above, they have fixed a lot worse. I have used them 2x this year for the same prop and they fixed it right up.

First time was all 4 blades bent pretty bad. 2nd was a missing chunk out of a blade.

Sorry to hear about this.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thanks Mike. How much did they charge you? I sent the pics to Acme and they said it was borderline repairable. They suggested sending it in and they would let me know once they had it in their hands. I may go up to Portland propeller and see what they think.

Has anyone ever replaced the prop shaft and strut themselves? How hard a job was it and did you need any special tools?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Go with the claim this time because you need gel coat repair, etc. Get them to replace everything. Take all the old parts to the guys mentioned above. If they can straighten the shaft and strut you will have a backup to keep on the shelf in the garage in case it ever happens again.

Yes, I have replaced the shaft, etc. myself. You remove the coupler bolts then the coupler. (I think I had to order a tool for the coupler nut, a special socket or something. You can check with Elberts.) The hardest part was sliding the shaft out past the rudder. May have to loosen the strut to do this but yours will be off anyway. It is not a super hard job but it is hard to reach the coupler bots, etc. and kind of uncomfortable.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Prop Strike - WARNING: Graphic Pics

Al, sorry to hear that happened. Makes me sick looking at it.
    Two things... take the prop to Sheffield off of Vancouver next to Jubitz truck stop. Talk to Jeff, he's the best prop guy in town, best prices, and will usually do it for cash. For gel and strut work go see Gary Cook at West One Marine. Again excellent work half the cost of the local dealers and will have back to you in a hurry. At least call and talk to him. He's a great guy. Hope you get this all sorted out so you can enjoy the summer.

PWI as usual...