Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Prop Strike - WARNING: Graphic Pics

We were at Lake Shasta this weekend (Friday through Tuesday) and were heading back to the boat ramp Monday night around 7:30 pm at 25 mph after a great three days on the water. We were in a channel about a half mile from the boat launch, we had passed through this same channel several times over the weekend with no issues and had seen several other boats pass through as well but probably because the water level drops daily, we hit something this time through, probably a rock ledge. After the prop strike, I could not go more than 5 mph without experiencing severe vibration so we limped along at 5 mph the remaining half mile or so back to the launch. Glad we were not further away when it happened. Below are pics of the damage. I'm told the gelcoat damage was cause by the prop - we hit so hard that it pushed the prop up into the gelcoat and took a chunk out of it.

Took the boat to Active Watersports in Oregon City, OR yesterday when we got back into town and today, I get the estimate. Let's just say it's a lot more than I expected. In addition to the obvious damage to the prop and gelcoat, the prop shaft and prop shaft strut are apparently bent. Fortunately, there was no damage to the tracking fins or the rudder.

This is my first prop strike so I have been fortunate all these years so I guess my luck finally ran out.

I’m working with my insurance company now to get the estimate approved. Will keep everyone posted.

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Was the shaft so bent that it could reach the gel? Seems more likely to me that it picked up a bit of whatever you struck and slammed it into the hull.
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Woody929 View Post
    Was the shaft so bent that it could reach the gel? Seems more likely to me that it picked up a bit of whatever you struck and slammed it into the hull.
    That is what I think too but the shop seems to think the prop hit it. To the naked eye, the shaft does not even look bent.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I'm no expert, but I would tend to agree with Woody. That looks like 4 inches or more from the prop to the hull. I'd expect to see the strut completely broken off, or pushed through the hull, for the prop to travel that far, and the shaft to have a very obvious bend in it.

There are enough people on the board with personal experience (unfortunately) on this stuff. I think Woody's opinion will be verified.

I'm scared to put my boat in the water now. Holy S**t.
    Last edited by rsinger; 08-21-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    past---------------2003 Outback SOLD
    present------------2006 Supra Launch 21V

Ron

On the bright side, it could look like this one sitting at a local shop
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

So sorry Al!

I would bet that Independent Marine Propeller
    In Portland may be able to repair the shaft and strut. Not sure about the prop but that shop has worked wonders in the past.

Although, if you are filing an insurance claim I would let the insurance company work on the part replacement details.

Looks to be about 6 - 8 hrs of glass and gel work, 4-5 hrs of driveline labor including realignment, + materials and parts (about $1300).

I would bet that the AWS quote is in the $5000+ range.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

I agree with Woody......also looks like it shadowed hit to the left of the major damage in the pic. For the prop to hit up there you would need deformation of the strut and it would not go back close to its original position. I'd check the alignment yourself to determine if the shaft is in fact bent. that prop is definitely going to give you bad vibes. sorry about your luck....
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

On the bright side, it could look like this one sitting at a local shop
    That picture just made my stomach turn over

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

well join the club several of us with this issue this weekend. I do not think the prop caused the damage, i to believe it spun something up and hit it. there would be some serious damage for the prop to hit that which it doesnt look like you have. Are they just guessing the shaft is bent? not sure if they would have the equipment to tell unless they already removed it.
    2008 22SSV Worlds

That's what I have to watch out for every weekend now that we play in shallow puddles
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)